Thread: Connecting Laptop to TV - Help please

Default Connecting Laptop to TV - Help please

Hello all,

I am getting increasingly frustrated at my attempts to connect my Laptop L20 Toshiba Equium to my Sony Trinitron TV. My Laptop does not have S-Video out, only VGA. My TV does not have VGA In, only S-Video.

I therefore purchased the following cables from amazon:

I connected it all up (VGA into my Laptop, S-Video into my VGA converter and into the TV and audio cables from laptop to TV)

I went through all of the inputs on my TV and the best I can get is sound on one of the inputs, I therefore figured this was the input in which the Video would be displayed. However I just cannot get Video onto the TV! I've tried for at least 2 hours now and I have just about given up. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Update:

I read around google and so I went into display properties on the control panel, I went to the "Settings" tab and I was presented with 2 screens with numbering on them. I clicked screen 2, ticked the box "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor" and hit apply, my screen went black my tv made a noise like it was accepting a different frequency then my screen came back on and this box went back to being unticked. I guess this is the root to my problem.

I also hit Fn + F5 and went across to "TV" and selected it, nothing happened. I tried the other options too but nothing. The other options are "LCD, LCD/CRT, CRT, LCD/TV and TV.

Please help.
    Last edited by Jat90; 03-31-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jat90 View Post
    Hello all,

I am getting increasingly frustrated at my attempts to connect my Laptop L20 Toshiba Equium to my Sony Trinitron TV. My Laptop does not have S-Video out, only VGA. My TV does not have VGA In, only S-Video.

I therefore purchased the following cables from amazon:

I connected it all up (VGA into my Laptop, S-Video into my VGA converter and into the TV and audio cables from laptop to TV)

I went through all of the inputs on my TV and the best I can get is sound on one of the inputs, I therefore figured this was the input in which the Video would be displayed. However I just cannot get Video onto the TV! I've tried for at least 2 hours now and I have just about given up. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Update:

I read around google and so I went into display properties on the control panel, I went to the "Settings" tab and I was presented with 2 screens with numbering on them. I clicked screen 2, ticked the box "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor" and hit apply, my screen went black my tv made a noise like it was accepting a different frequency then my screen came back on and this box went back to being unticked. I guess this is the root to my problem.

I also hit Fn + F5 and went across to "TV" and selected it, nothing happened. I tried the other options too but nothing. The other options are "LCD, LCD/CRT, CRT, LCD/TV and TV.

Please help.

You need a converter.. a comps output is a VGA signal that needs to be converted. just google pc to tv converter you'll come up with a lot of options at diffrent prices
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply. Darn, I thought it was possible to connect straight via cables, I'm sure I've read it somewhere. I take your word for it though as it would probably explain why I'm not getting any video on the big screen. Just to be sure, is it something like this that I'm after?

ClimaxDigital Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Thanks.

yeah that would work.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

you could try changing the setting so that the refresh rate is 60 and the screen res is 800x600.