Thread: Potential issues with Canon XL1s & MA-200 4 x XLR input

Question Potential issues with Canon XL1s & MA-200 4 x XLR input

My first post here, so be gentle folks!

My background is working in audio, so when offered the opportunity to produce some short footage for my brother's business I was initially reluctant. He purchased some second-hand equipment, handed it over and said 'Get going!'

So, here I am...

I have a Canon XL1s and a Canon MA-200, which are causing me some trouble.

The supplied & attached microphone mounted on the XL1s is picking up every knock, zoom motor whirr and button press. It is poorly isolated from the chassis and I am not impressed.

So, an MA-200 was purchased, but the seller has never actually used it, so consider it spares / repair.

I plug it in, I go through the menu selection from MIC to LINE IN, I open up the Audio door to the rear of the camera, turn up the line level and flick the switch from MIC to Audio 1 and then I stumble across issues. I cannot for the life of me get any audio into the camera.

Listening through headphones I can hear a crackle as I plug the MA-200 in, so there is power, but that's about it. No matter what microphone I try, whether phantom power is applied or not I am getting nothing more than the faintest of whimpers from some rock solid, reliable AKG & Rode mics. I've got a selection I've tried in each of the 4 XLR inputs to the rear of the unit.

Despite checking Canon's website I cannot find a PDF manual or any instructions on the MA-200 to be confident that it's not an end user issue.

I would very much appreciate some advice from anyone who'd previously used the MA-200 and can explain to me where I might be going wrong.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Parris; 03-31-2009 at 12:21 AM.
    I think we are going to need a bigger boat

do you have a microphone floating about somewhere that doesn't require phantom power? try plugging in a dynamic vocal mic. if it works then it's likely to be a problem with the phantom power. you can get adapters that will add the 12/24/48 volt feed to the line but you shouldn't need one. do you have a mixing board or something similar with phantom that you could plug then microphone into? you could always link out of the mixing board to the camera. I do this if we are using more lapel mics than camers (not often).

Hi, thanks for replying! I have several microphones here and only 1 has phantom power. I've tested all of them and tried to raise line levels in the unit itself and nothing more than a whisper. The only thing that they have in common being the cable I used, but even then all the equipment works perfectly in isolation.

I was really wanting to have the XLR input to cut down on the amount of stuff we had to take with us.

Finger of blame currently being pointed at the MA-200. Does anyone know of a PDF manual that might be available online as I can't find much information on the MA-200 at all?

Blog Entries

Have you troed xlr - adaptor - camera withour the MA200? it that works then clearly it's a fault with the ma200.

I haven't as yet - I'll need to go purchase an adapter I think.

make one yourself, How to Wire an XLR to a 1/4" TRS (Stereo Jack Plug)

it wouldn't be balanced anymore though.

Thanks - trip to Maplins Electronics ahoy!