Thread: Disappointment...

Default Disappointment...

OK, guys, I need your help. I converted my first VHS to DVD last night using my shiny new ADVC-55 and, frankly, the results are very disappointing Ė only marginally better than the Belkin dongle at nearly three times the price. I just did an A-B comparison with the original VHS and, by the side of it, the DVD is soft where the VHS is sharp, the DVD colours lack the punch and vibrancy of the original VHS, thereís a lack of detail in the DVD thatís present in the original VHS. Beyond that, a slight Ďjudderí or jerkiness seems to be apparent in pans and zooms on the DVD that isnít there in the original.

So: given that at least one of you is getting spectacular results from your ADVC-50, and given that the quality of the original 16-year old VHS is surprisingly good, I can only assume that there are some things Iím doing wrong, or at least could be doing better to optimize my results.

I used Premiere Pro to capture, edit and burn the DVD on this project (I was anxious to get to the final outcome as soon as possible) and, from memory, I left all options at their default value. The drive on which I captured the .avi files was fully defragged, and I was running Premiere Pro as the first and only application after rebooting.

Iíve looked at the .avi files and compared them with the DVD files on my PC monitor, and the .avi files are just fine Ė pretty much as good as the original VHS (so far as I can tell). Does that tell me that my problem is in the transcoding rather than capture?

So: any hints as to what I can do? Any/all suggestions gratefully received.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

An update on this... Something I wondered about was rendering. So I rendered the entire project at the highest quality setting I could find. It took three hours plus, but now I have three files that I don't know what to do with - separate audio and video files, it seems, and one other.

I'd really appreciate some advice here, as I'm stuck. Marc: at one time, you'd mentioned that you'd be happy to show me what you could do. That may yet be an offer I'd like to take you up on, but in the meantime, can anyone give me any pointers as to what I should be doing in order to maximize the quality of my capture and then of the final result? You may think some things are too obvious to mention - well, don't! I'm excellent at overlooking the obvious.

What, specifically, are the steps I need to take a) to maximize capture quality, and b) when exporting to DVD, to maximize output quality?

Thanks, team.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

Blog Entries

Have a good old read throughg the DVD section and catch me on MSN if you've got any questions

Had a good old read... Funny how things come to you. I re-encoded the project last night after more closely scrutinising the encode settings I'd used the time before. The previous time, I'd done it progressive - this time, I've chosen the other high quality option. Do we think that might make a difference? Perhaps it will - hope so. I ran the job overnight, so can't wait to get home to pop the resulting DVD in the player...

Blog Entries

Progressive is another name for "de-interlace". Well, strictly speaking I guess a progressive scan should never have been interlaced in the first place. If your player and or TV doesn't support progressive scan - well, I'm not sure what would happen really.

Yeah, weird. Oh well, let's see what pops out of the old coaster burner tonight...

How did this turn out? Every word of your original post is exactly what I've experienced.

I'm still working on it - the project is taking a frustrating amount of time, mostly because I can only ever spend half an hour at a time on it. A video guru friend has offered to run my original VHS through a Snell & Wilcox box, see if that makes any difference, but I can't go that route for the mountain of tapes I have to convert. Current status is that I'm now working in Encore to fix some authoring problems from my first couple of gos in Premiere, and hope to finish the project within a few days. I'll let you know what transpires. What I can say, though, is that having looked more closely at the source .avi file, I see that the quality isn't as good as I'd first thought - so it could be that the problem lies with the capture rather than the encoding.