Thread: Loosing quality when rendering Canon SD950 IS High Definition .avi files, please help

Question Loosing quality when rendering Canon SD950 IS High Definition .avi files, please help

This forum has been so helpful in so many ways. Thanks to all for that.

Please help me if you can, I am relatively new to Sony Vegas and I just can not figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, Version 9.0b (Build 92).

I have made many High Definition video recordings on my Canon SD950 IS, and they look fantastic when upload them onto my PC and open them in Windows Media or Quicktime (all with current versions).

I am looking to render them with the greatest possible quality settings and eventually load them up onto the Internet.

Yet when I load them into Sony Vegas, edit them, and render them, Sony Vegas doesn't seem to have the ability to render them without loosing significant quality. I have "tested" small clip rendering for every format Sony Vegas offers, and there isn't a single option, it seems, to render these SD950 .AVI files without loosing serious quality. I;ve noticed that I cannot get the HD 1080-24p-YUV renders to open, even this output most closely matches the original recording specifications.

The Canon Powershot SD950 IS 12.1MP records in a HD .AVI format at 1024x786, with 15 fps and Data rate of 15599kbps for Video.

Also, I have a Dell Vostro 1500, Intel(r) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU, T7500 @ 2.20 Ghz, 2.19 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM, with plenty (for now) of disk space (over 1OO Gb left)...

Please, can somebody help me??? I will get a far better camera, but I don't want to loose these AVI files!!!

THanks so much in advance for any suggestions!

Default Also I maintain pixel ratios, etc.

I also make sure the HD .AVI files stay at the pixel ratio in which they were record.

From each movie file I see:
    Stream: Video 1
    Attributes:1024x786x24
    Format: Sony Motion JPEG

Field order: NONE (progresive scan)
    Pixel Aspect: 1.00000 Square
    Alpha Channel: NONE
    Rotation: 0 degrees.

Blog Entries

I suspect some of the render options are disabled in the ' lite ' version of vegas.