Thread: m2ts driving me crazy

Default m2ts driving me crazy

Hi everyone,

I am not exactly sure If I am in the right place but I am giving it a try since that is how I got here...

I have a sony HD HDD 1080i Camcorder and I am using the software that came with it to download the files to the pc

So I have m2ts files on my pc.

I am opening them in the vegas movie studio 9 platinum because I wanted to edit the audio levels (This is from a live concert) that was recorded in 2 channels (Stereo) using an audio technica mic.

According to the manual I should be able to open the audio track in sound forge 9, edit it, save it and it will automatically update the track once saved.

I am been able to do that but after editing the track when I hit "Save" it open a "save as dialogue" and doesn't allow me to save in the original m2ts format that succesfully opened... hence the vegas doesn't pick up the changes and so on...

I know many of you would probably suggest different software according to your preference and experience but it would be nice if I can find a way around this two as those are the ones I have.

Is there a codec I can install so sound forge can save as m2ts?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lleiro View Post
    Is there a codec I can install so sound forge can save as m2ts?
    Can't answer that but as a workaround why don't you simply save it as a wav file then use the wav file in Vegas?
    Tim

Blog Entries

Actually, reading again, why are you even editing the sound in a different program?

You can change sound levels and add effects within Vegas. (see the help file, run the interactive tutorials etc etc)
    Tim

M2ts is a video format, you can't use an audio program to export video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewPerks View Post
    M2ts is a video format, you can't use an audio program to export video.

I don't understand this comment.

m2ts is a video format containing video AND audio streams.
    You import it into Vegas (OP has already stated he can do this OK) giving you video and audio tracks.
    I suggested he change the audio level using the controls available within Vegas.

I never mentioned an audio program! (Although he did - Soundforge)

EDIT: Now I do undertand your comment - it was in reference to my first post. What I meant was export as a wav file FROM SOUNDFORGE back into Vegas.

To clarify - two options.
    1. Edit audio in external editor (Soundforge).
    Then save the file from Soundforge as a WAV file
    Then re-import the saved wav into Vegas

2. Simply change the volume on the Sony Vegas timeline - no need to export to an external editor at all.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-29-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Tim

Thank you guys for all your responses...

I did indeed save it as a wav but for some reason I can't import it back on vegas...

And also Why does sound forge manage to open and edit a m2ts file (I can see it on the title been open as "scarlatti.m2ts" which is the name of the original file in vegas and then it can't save the changes onto that file?

In addition the help menu of vegas explains that what I am attempting is possible but it doesn't cover different formats...

I'll keep trying...

as of now what I managed to do is to create a completely new project and and bring the original media (video and audio together) then delete the original audio and drag my edited wav from the trimmer but is not what

This is from the (vague) Vegas menu and it is not happening:

Open in Sound Editor
    1. Select the event you want to edit.

You can select multiple events to open each event in a separate window in the sound editor.
    2. From the Tools menu, choose Audio, and choose Open in [editor name]. The editing application is opened with the event's media.
    3. Edit and save the file.

After you have edited and saved the file, Vegas Movie Studio automatically detects the updated file and updates the event in the project. However, if you change the media file’s name or location (by using Save As), you must import the edited (new) file into your project.

When you first install Vegas Movie Studio, it searches for Sony Sound Forge software. If the software is detected, it is automatically assigned as your sound editor. However, if you do not have Sound Forge software, you may specify the location of your preferred audio editor on the Audio Tab in the Preferences dialog.
    You may also edit a file that has been placed in the Trimmer Window by clicking the Open in Audio Editor button in the Trimmer window.
    Thanks for thinking with me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lleiro View Post
    I did indeed save it as a wav but for some reason I can't import it back on vegas...
    How are you trying to do this?

If you save a file "foobar.wav" in SoundForge. You can either drag that file from the Vegas exploer window onto the timeline OR you could go File | Import Media and browse for it to add it to your project media.

A quick look shows me that SF is capable of saving files at greater bit depth than Vegas Movie studio is capable of dealing with. Maybe you need to save the sound at a lower bit depth/Hz.

Have you tried my alternative of simply changing the audio levels on the Vegas timeline? Or do you need something that only Soundforge can give?

You do NOT need to edit sound in an external editor.
    Tim

When I try to drag from SF to Vegas a popup windows says that the file is already open and nothing happens...

I just feel more comfortable with sound forge because I have been using it since 4.5...

I looked at the imported file and it says 48000KHz 16bit...

I will try to save it as 44100 and see if there is any change

Ultimately I will try to edit it as you said but is just frustrating to follow their own instructions and fail...

Maybe I am doing something wrong earlier....

This is what I am doing...

From the Sony's Picture Motion Browser I am right clicking on my video (m2ts) and hit open with external program and choosing Vegas 9...

After it opens it up... I am selecting the audio track and opening it with sound forge... then I applied Noise Reduction, minimize the Clapping and normalize by then the titlebar of sound forge is displaying the original file title from vegas: scarlatti.m2ts

When I hit save... I can't

In the meantime in vegas there seem to be a lot of options that are greyed out

For instance I can't save nor save, I can't insert audio track, I can't import media and I can't drag in from SF.

Maybe I need to create a new project from scratch... (I don't recall If I already tried that or no as I've tried many things....) and that is been my big mistake...

Here there are a few screenshots... maybe yo see something I don't...

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by lleiro; 03-29-2009 at 11:36 PM.