Thread: Sony Camcorder Upgrade

Default Sony Camcorder Upgrade

Hi
    Althought I've been shooting video for over 20 years now, I'm new to all this forum malarkey, so if I'm doing anything wrong, or posting in the wrong place, someone please put me right !

I currently have a Sony Mini-DVD digital camcorder, which I am planning to replace sometime soon. I want to stick with Sony (both my Sonys have been 100% reliable and produced excellent results), and I want to upgrade to HD, burning by own blu-ray discs using Pinnacle Studio. I've tried visiting various showrooms I (inc Sony in Cardiff) but am having problems getting straight answers to the following:

1) Assuming that I opt for highest possible quality, how my GB will it take to store 1 hour of output.

2) My current camcoder has 5.1 sound, which is great. I gather than to get 5.1 sound on a new camcorder I will need a seperate microphone. Do all camcorders accept this type of mic ?

3) I would appreciate informed advice re HDD or Memory Stick. My inclination is the latter, in case the camcorder gets nicked on the last day of the holiday, but I'm interested in other views on this.

Any pointers gratefully received.........

All good features to look for but how much are you looking to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by canalcoholic View Post
    Hi
    Althought I've been shooting video for over 20 years now, I'm new to all this forum malarkey, so if I'm doing anything wrong, or posting in the wrong place, someone please put me right !

I currently have a Sony Mini-DVD digital camcorder, which I am planning to replace sometime soon. I want to stick with Sony (both my Sonys have been 100% reliable and produced excellent results), and I want to upgrade to HD, burning by own blu-ray discs using Pinnacle Studio. I've tried visiting various showrooms I (inc Sony in Cardiff) but am having problems getting straight answers to the following:

1) Assuming that I opt for highest possible quality, how my GB will it take to store 1 hour of output.

2) My current camcoder has 5.1 sound, which is great. I gather than to get 5.1 sound on a new camcorder I will need a seperate microphone. Do all camcorders accept this type of mic ?

3) I would appreciate informed advice re HDD or Memory Stick. My inclination is the latter, in case the camcorder gets nicked on the last day of the holiday, but I'm interested in other views on this.

Any pointers gratefully received.........
    1) SD video is about 13gb and HD about 25gb/hr

2) Some cameras have a mini jack others have XLR which is prefered.. Keep in mind some dont have any external mic input

3) I don't like either or those, I'd stick with DV..

Have you used Pinnacle? I doubt you'll be happy with it, You should look at the Sony Vegas and adobe sites for their trials..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction