Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Advise on Sony Vegas for a newbie

Question Buying Advise on Sony Vegas for a newbie

Hi,

I'm very new to video editing, still not familliar with all the terminology etc. I am wondering if either Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition or Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 would be a good video editor for me ?

So far I've only used windows movie maker, which kept crashing on me, and a trial of cyberlink power director which I found fairly easy with help from online tutorials but wasn't totally happy with some things about it. I've heard sony vegas is extremely complex and difficult to learn, and this makes me worry if I'd have the patience and time to master it.

I want to be able to produce videos for youtube, ones made from editing movie clips together, adding effects and music etc, just for fun and my own pleasure. I don't own a camcorder, though perhaps I might get one sometime. Would sony vegas be a good choice for me ? My maximum budget is 35, both the versions listed above are within my budget on amazon.

My major gripe with powerdirector was that it wasn't so easy to quickly build a collection of movie clips and save that collection as in movie maker. For example clips could only be split once unless I moved them to the storyboard, and then they could not be moved from storyboard back into main work area, so there was no way to easily save them for future use. I was wondering if Sony Vegas is the same ? I am also attracted by the amount of things sony vegas can do, movie maker was rather limited, and I never want to use it again ever after the amount of crashing I endured.

I'd also need an editor which is easy for someone with some eyesight problems to use, where I can enlarge the video window when splitting clips etc so I can easily see. I don't need a huge window, but I don't want a tiny window either.

Thanks for any advice, and sorry if I was confusing or too long winded, I still don't quite know the terminiology for all this video editing stuff.

Vegas would do what you want.. My suggestion would be to go to the sony site and download the trial and see if you like it, plus you can upgrade to the full version at a lower price later if you want, You cant go wrong with Vegas
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Thanks for the help. I've downloaded the trial version, however I'm having some problems with it, I cannot get video to play in the trimmer, audio plays but not video. I'm going to experiment and hope I can solve the problem.

Blog Entries

What is your source? You say you don't own a camera which implies you're working with downloaded clips. These clips will most likely have been encoded using "codecs" designed for delivery rather than editing (ie they're highly compressed, and require a lot of processing power to decompress to edit and will be lacking in information anyway). The fact that other programs are crashing when attempting to edit these clips only reinforces my suspicion.
    Tim

I'm using clips from DVDs that I own, not downloaded clips. I think they're avi clips if that helps. I did manage to make and publish a video to youtube using these clips, with movie maker, but as the number of clips and effects in my video increased so movie maker started to crash on me, I completed the video by saving every two or three minutes. Also I had added some downloaded plugins to movie maker at the time. Movie maker worked fine at first.

I just checked what codec the clips use, xvid MPEG-4, audio uses MP3.

It seems I have an error msg after starting the sony vegas trial, I think it was very late last night and I didn't notice the msg, sorry for that. It says, "Failed to register with windows terminal service." This is an old trial of sony vegas movie studio 8 platinum edition, it did not come from the sony site. I wanted to try that specific version since it's the version I'm most interested in buying, as it's cheaper.

I'm wondering if my pc is powerful enough, according to the system requirements it should be, AMD athlon x2 64 dual core, 2 gig memory, Radeon graphics card with 512 mb ram. Windows xp, not vista.

Thanks for any help. From what I saw of sony vegas I quite liked it, but now it's confusing me. Sighs.
    Last edited by SylvaDragon; 03-30-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SylvaDragon View Post
    I just checked what codec the clips use, xvid MPEG-4, audio uses MP3.
    As I suspected. Vegas can get crabby with Xvid/VidX.
    All need not be lost. Google for a program called "Super" or "SuperC". This seems to convert anything to anything and it's free. (It comes recommended by Mark Watson of this parish). Converst to Standard Definition DV tyoe of avi for best use within Vegas.

Your PC s fine - spec wise.
    Tim

Ah thanks, maybe that explains why other video editors I've tried also seemed very slow responding.

Will standard definition DV also work well on youtube ? I'd like to keep the image quality quite high, no blurry edges or anything. Youtube itself reccomends MPEG2 for good quality, would that work well in vegas ? I don't see DV mentioned anywhere on youtube help, but then youtube help isn't always much help.

And I solved the error msg, it seems I had terminal services turned off, turned it on, error msg gone.

Blog Entries

My suggestion is you convert to SD avi and use these files for editing. Save your finished masterpiece as SD avi. This is the best quality/easiest to edit format. However it is rather LARGE and I wouldn't advise transferring this to YouTube, just save it as your MASTER copy.
    Now create a new project and insert the master avi you've just created.

Create a wmv file per Mark Watson's suggestions in one of the threads in this forum or take a look a Chapman Photograpy's video tutorial about uploading for YouTube (I've not looked at it yet, but he's pretty reliable!) - again somewhere on this forum. I'll post links later if you struggle finding them....

Anyway, use this much more highly compressed file for uploading to YT.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I second all Tim says.

All editors are made to edit camera files - highly compessed stuff like divx / xvid really isnt for editing, although most editors will do it grudgingly with some extra codecs uploaded.

Codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would advise against movie studio - it's like a thing for kids - go for the next one up in the heiracrchy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I second all Tim says.
    I'm glad about that - as all I'm doing is basically plagiarising you
    (cue another discussion about copyright)
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast