Thread: Making Transparent Borders in sony vegas 8

Question Making Transparent Borders in sony vegas 8

I seriously need help learning how to do this effect. I've been trying for the longest time to find out how to do this, but there arn't any tutorials to show me how. So, can anybody tell me how i can make borders like this in sony vegas 8 pro?
    Here's an example: Pride KashaMedia - Putfile.com
    And by the way, i already know how to use cookie cutter, it's just that i have no idea on how to make them transprent. For some reason, other versions have the option in cookie cutter to change the transprency, but i don't have it. weird. Thanks

I can't get your video to play. So I can't really assist with what it is you are explaining. Also, I don't understand exactly what it is you are asking. Please try again?

Blog Entries

That video is basically using PIP or Picture in Picture technique.
    Put your background video on track 2.
    Put your main video on track 1.
    Use pan & crop to crop track 1.

That video also has some other busines going on, like some sort of border effect around the main track and the background track being recoloured/black&white, but investigate PIP for the crux of your question.
    Tim

okay, perhaps this would be a better example?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xZSbtEoLk]YouTube - Trish Stratus - Coming Back[/ame]

What i'm asking for is having a border on my videos like the examples (that have transparency). I can tell it's really hard to do considering how there arn't many people who know what i'm talking about when i ask it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyholly View Post
    okay, perhaps this would be a better example?
    My answer is basically the same. This one is a bit more complex, requiring more tracks, but the same principle applies.

Lets label the horizontal bands from the top:
    1: Background B&W video
    2: Solid Grey Border
    3: Background B&W video
    4: Thin black line
    5: Main Video
    6: Thin black line
    7: Background B&W video
    8: Solid Grey Border
    9: Background B&W video

I would arrange the tracks like this:

Track 1: Main Video - cropped to size so it appears in the middle (band 5)
    Track 2: Solid Black - cropped to be just bigger than the main video in track 1 to give us bands 4 & 6
    Track 3: Solid Grey - cropped to right height, track motion to move up to position to give us band 2
    Track 4: Solid Grey - cropped to right height, track motion to move down to position to give us band 4
    Track 5: Backgound video (which MAY be the same clip as track 1, stretched & converted to B&W and/or treated in many ways) which gives us bands 1,3, 7 & 9.

If you PM me your email address I can send a veggie which might explain the above better than my words can.

(Actually I might use a different technique using masking, but if you haven't grasped the above I won't attempt to explain this)
    Tim

wow, i wish i were able to understand that in the terms you said it, but i don't know much about cropping or what bands are.
    What exactly are they?

Blog Entries

"Bands" was just a term I used to try to describe the various horizontal sections of the sample.

"Cropping" is selectng just part of an image (and junking the rest of it)

Send me a PM (Personal mail) via this website with your real emal address, and I'll send you a veg file.

I'm assuming you're using Vegas 8 Pro as you haven't specified it's Movie Studio. My veg file won't work with Vegas Movie Studio and anyway requires 5 tracks (to do it one go). VMS has only 4. (That's not to say it can't be done, just requires an intermediate render.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-30-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    Tim

I'm confused, i got the file but what i don't get is where on the storyline to put it, i mean am i supposed to get the video and crop it? -_-

Blog Entries

I have sent you a veg file. This is a complete project intended to act as an example. Once you understand it should be able to apply the same technique to your videos.

You should be opening it with File | Open (not inserting it into another project - this would create a nested project) - just checking.

Once opened, you shopuld see a timeline with 5 tracks. If you don't - stop here - you haven't opened it properly.

Track 1 would be your main video (cropped/sized to fit the middle of the screen)
    Track 2 is a solid black colour, slightly taller than track 1 - to create the thin black border
    Tracks 3 & 4 are solid grey, cropped to provide the grey bands top & bottom
    Track 5 would be your background video, treated however you like (iun the example you showed I think it was black and white)

To get a real understanding of what's going on, I suggest you "solo" each track (that's the "!" icon on the track header. This will show you only that track's contribution to the overall video. After you've soloed them individually.

I suggest you solo track 5 (this shows the background video only)
    Then ALSO solo track 3 then track 4. This will add the grey bands.
    Then track 2 (which will add a black band across the middle)
    Then finally add trak 1 (or unsolo all tracks)

That way you should see how the picture is built up.

Any help?
    Tim