Thread: Best for own website?

Default Best for own website?

Hi, can anyone advise the best video quality camcorder for taking videos to upload to our website

They will just be of one person talking

Dont want to pay too much for now, say less than £200, seen some videos on websites and the quality is very poor

Is this possible at this budget?

This will be our first digital camcorder

Mrcass
    Last edited by mrcass; 03-27-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: missed a line

Blog Entries

Quality is likely to be bandwidth limited so really any proper camcorder will do.
    Go for an old s/h sd dv camera off e bay perhaps. Get a mic input as you will need this. Voice recorded via camera will be rubbish.

Hi and thanks for the info, its the quality of the video i was worried about, i have seen some grainy ones out there on sites

Thanks for the tip about the mike tho, didnt even think about this

I have a video camera from the early 90's so getting a digi cam is something i know nothing about

From research it seems to be better to have a minidv? apparently you dont lose any quality when you transfer to the PC

Thanks again

A mini dv will do fine, Canon do a model with a mic in socket (sorry, can't remember the number at present) but do a search for Canon's mini dv cams and look at the lower price range. As Mark W said regardless of what camcorder you buy, you will be restricted by the bandwith provided by your service provider and this will have a greater impact on the quality of your uploaded video than anything else. Mini dv will give you the best quality to start off with but it will look a lot worse by the time it appears on your site.

Hi and thanks

You say "Mini dv will give you the best quality to start off with but it will look a lot worse by the time it appears on your site"

That sounds like Minidv is not going to be the right choice, could you suggest an alternative for me please

Thank you

Depending on how much compression you will have to apply to your finished video so you can get it onto your website (any details about file types and file sizes?) then that will determine how good or how bad it looks. Using a Mini DV camcorder to record your video will give you the best picture quality, it's only when it has to be squeezed down to fit on your website will you notice a difference.

Thanks for that

I will see whats on ebay, if anyone can recommend a good one for less than £200 it would be appreciated

Look up the Canon MD205 or the Canon MD216, with the MD205 retailing for slightly less. Both are quoted having mic input sockets. If you can get a 'try before you buy' all the better.

Great, i will google some reviews on these

Thanks again