Thread: when you make video.... when you ready to publish it to youtube.... at what bit rate

1. Default when you make video.... when you ready to publish it to youtube.... at what bit rate

when you make video.... when you ready to publish it to youtube.... at what bit rate you use?

1: what is the highest bit rate avalible?

2: what is the most popular bit rate people use?

Blog Entries

How long is a piece of string? Everyone has there own settings, it depends on whether you are uploading standard definition video or high definition video, how long the video is and the codec you are using to compress the video. I tend to use mpeg4 (H.264 encoder) a lot of the time and I've used settings from 2500kb/s up to 4500kb/s with standard definition video. Those settings would change if you want to upload hi def video.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    How long is a piece of string? Everyone has there own settings, it depends on whether you are uploading standard definition video or high definition video, how long the video is and the codec you are using to compress the video. I tend to use mpeg4 (H.264 encoder) a lot of the time and I've used settings from 2500kb/s up to 4500kb/s with standard definition video. Those settings would change if you want to upload hi def video.
    say you make video in HD and 10min in length. what setting would you do? how many bit rate?

and why people choose h.264 over xvid? from what i see... xvid seems better picture quality.

Blog Entries

I doesnt really make much differnece if you use 264, xvid or wmv - all have thier supporters.

Use a bit rate of about 3 to 5 mbit/sec for sd or hdv source material and you tubes recompression will be the limiting factor.

As you can see in the link I use 3 mbit/sec wmv and that works fine.

Check the thread - all you need to know is there.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I doesnt really make much differnece if you use 264, xvid or wmv - all have thier supporters.

Use a bit rate of about 3 to 5 mbit/sec for sd or hdv source material and you tubes recompression will be the limiting factor.

As you can see in the link I use 3 mbit/sec wmv and that works fine.

Check the thread - all you need to know is there.
    wow 3 to 5 mbps???? aka 5,000mb mbps? wow i use 16,000 mbps but the size will be over 1gb. now i am force to use 13 mbps or below. i realy think 13 mbps will have horrible picture but need to wait and see.

so is 3- 5 mbps on HD 10min video look bad or decent or acceptable?

oh i click your link. i see u vid comparason but thats HQ not HD. do u have HD comparason?
    Last edited by anonymous7; 03-27-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries

some are HD - I was comparing you tube quality options.

This one -

Is in HD - upload was a 3mbit/sec wmv 1280x720.

See thread for details.

Anyone reading this discussion must be very careful not to get bits and bytes confused.

Discussion of bandwidths is always in bits per second - usually mega bits per second - mbit/s

Confusingly total file sizes are in bytes - usually Mega bytes - MB

One byte is 8 bits if you wat to convert.

320x240(full-screen)/320x180 are too small, you can go up to 640 x 360 and that fits the size of the new wide screen player.

EDIT... I should add this is the size that I use at the moment, it may not be the size you use as Mark W points out above everyone has their own settings and as such what works for one person may not work for someone else.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 04-18-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Blog Entries

I ahve uploaded in lots of ways experimentally - I strongly suggest the advice in my link above is helpfull and well investigated.

It is important to upload at the original res of the file.

Aslo - use sq par as the tube ignores this data - assunmes all pixels are square - if you upload in pal non sq pixels the aspect ratio will be wrong after up load - as is often the case on the tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio