Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to record separate audio

Default What do you use to record separate audio

I'm recording a stage show in a few weeks time and there's only one camera which will be placed quite far back to get a wide angle of the whole stage which raises the problem of getting decent audio.

I've been looking at a few things such as the Zoom H2 and H4 and the Tascam DR1. All very good machines accoring to the reviews but I'm looking for something without built in microphones. I've looked at a few Mp3 players but they tend to be just that with a lack of inputs rendering them 'non-professional' and I don't want to revert to DAT or Minidisc as uploading is soooo much easier and quicker than capturing.

Any suggestion between the 100/150 second hand mark gratefully welcomed!

Blog Entries

The Zoom H2 will accept a mic and line input through a 3.5mm socket and record wav files at 48khz so no compatability problems with any editing software. I've used one a lot and can vouch for the quality. Anything else with a similar ability which is any good costs twice as much.
    The inbuilt mics aren't that bad either, for an emergency recording.

Next in line are the Marantz PMD660, the Edirol R-09 and the Fostex LE, all of which cost considerably more than the H2.

Blog Entries

Coming a bit late to this thread so this may be redundant......
    I have a Zoom H2 and make the following observations.....
    1. The built in mics give surprisingly good results.
    2. Using external mics (in my case a Rode Video mic or an ATR-35 cheapo tie clip mic) produces a certain amount of background noise (nothing to do with the colouring inherant in those mics). The backgriound noise is pretty constant and limited to a few frequencies and can be reduced to an acceptable level (for amateur) with simple noise removal tools in post - but it's still a pain.

Also, don't forget the H2 won't accept balanced lines and so cable runs over a few meters are out of the question.

I'm not knowcking the H2 - it's one of my favourite purchases. Like most things, it will give good results so long as you know and work within its limitations.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I would suggest that mp3 recorders are avoided.

I recently did some nerdy hifi stuff comparing wavs and mp3s on my front room hifi - jeepers mp3s sound poor when you A / B with the CD originals.

Thanks for the input gents. I've think I've done all the research on this that I can now and have concluded that I'm going to save up a bit longer and get a Zoom H4. It seems that bang for the buck it has more inputs (and the built in mics) than anything else in it's price range. The only problem is getting one second hand seems to have little difference in price to getting it new - 205 is the cheapest I could find.

...that said I might be better to get two wireless mics (stereo pair) and plug the receiver straight in to the camera but it would all have to be battery powered... any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by optheatre; 04-16-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Additional info

Blog Entries

Zoom 4, good call.

As for the radio-mic idea, a definite yes but it's gonna cost a lot more than a Zoom unless you hire in the gear.

Do not, under any circumstances buy cheap Chinese or Indian wireless mics, nor copies of Audio Technicas or Sennheisers. They are noisy, subject to interference and really unreliable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by optheatre View Post
    The only problem is getting one second hand seems to have little difference in price to getting it new
    This is not really surprising as it's current technology and being solid state there's little to go wrong/get worn.

If this is for a one-off - don't forget the option of hiring. Get higher quality stuff (mics and recorders - or wireless mics). Hire for two days and spend the first familiarising yourself with it. Much cheaper and will give you useful experience when you next come to consider purcahing.
    Tim

Well I managed to get my grubby mitts on a Marantz PMD 660 for a bargain 180. I think the H4 still has more features (like the 4 track and fx) but I guess what I'm lacking in features I'll be making up for in build quality. Can't wait for it to arrive! Any one need a sound man?

Thanks for your help.

10. Default

Why can't you record to the camera back?

I can't really comment on what mics to use with no info on the show but it makes no sense at all to consider wireless systems or a separate recorder when you can run a wire to the camera.

More info would help if poss....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast