Thread: What effects software?

1. Default What effects software?

Mornin'

Being relatively new to the world of video editing I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a little confused as to the plethora of software available out there and how it all interacts with each other.

I'm currently using Sony Vegas Pro 8 as my main program but is this all I need? I keep seeing things like Adobe After Effects / FX Home effects lab etc etc and am wondering if I really need these to complement what I already have or whether they even work alongisde Sony Vegas??

I'm not, at present, into creating lightsabre effects / lasers etc (although as the kids grow up this will probably change) but do these programmes serve other purposes that I may need for my general promotional videos of hotels, guest houses etc or will Sony Vegas be enough?

If someone could shed some light on what you actually need and if you need additonal software what goes with what in the world of video editing software, that would be great!!

Cheers

"need" is subjective.. You'll find that Sony Vegas is very powerfull and can do alot, After effects is a special effects program and even though you can do somethings with vegas, AE is is well worth it, I use it alot with Titleling and opening credits etc.. I would recomend looking at VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools the site belongs to Andrew Kramer and he has alot of tutoraials there.. best of luck
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

3. Default

Thanks - isn't After Effects mega bucks? Are there cheaper alternatives such as the HomeFX software I mentioned - I notice they have a new version out today!!

Blog Entries

I use vegas for everyting and I would suggest that AE is vast overkill for most people.

Unless you really have the cash and the time to learn AE and / or really want to get into 3d compositing I would pass on it.

I agree with Mark, wait until you find something that you can't do in Vegas and then go looking. There are many ways to accomplish various effects and Vegas is a very powerful tool. There are also plugins that cost far less than After Effects and do specific things very well, like titles and making objects glow among other things.
    http://muvipix.com Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more