Thread: Association membership

1. Default Association membership

Does anyone have any advice on the benefits of joining a professional association and its impact on enquiries / work etc.

As I recently started a small, but hopefully growing, video production company, I was toying with the idea of joining the IOV but before I took the plunge (and the exam) I just wanted to run it by some fellow possible members.

I have heard there are alternatives, are these better, more worthwhile, should I stick with the IOV, or don't bother at all. What's the general consensus?

Hi - I've been a member of both. Qualified to Master member of the IOV, then when the APV was relaunched by Steve Crawford, another ex IOV member, I rejoined them.
    The benefits? no great shakes on their respective forums as most other video forums cater for technical and social networking as good, if not better.

Work referrals - not much from either, that's not to say other members don't.

The best benefit is in knowing other qualified members have reached an acceptable standard and who you can rely on when you pass work to them or need an extra operator who knows his onions.
    The general public don't show a glimmer of recognition for either organisataion, but the fact that you've been assesed by professionals to a respectable standard can go a long way with some clients.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

3. Default

Thanks Zero - I'm judging by the distinct lack of response to my post that not many people could care less about association membership!!??

To put it in a nutshell then; should I join any and if so which?