Thread: Mixing Field Orders

1. Default Mixing Field Orders

Ok so here is my issue

The client needs videos as 1280x720 Quicktime Photo Jpeg Progressive.

To create the videos, I am Mixing source HDV Cineform AVI (upper field first) and DV PAL (lower field first) - mostly encoded from DVD source footage mpg2, into an HDV Project in Premiere Pro 1.5 for precise editing to sound. To get this into After Effects to add graphics (which are pretty heavy in the video) I am exporting to AVI uncompressed (1080x1440) to import into After Effects 6.5 to add graphics.

My question is really, what is the best workaround for the mixed field orders. I have to admit, After Effects confuses me with fields - with the field rendering on/off settings etc.

Should I just export from Premiere as deinterlaced? Or try somehow to affect the DV field order to make it upper field first? Then I can bring into AE and set the clip Field Seperate in AE as Upper Filed first? The issue is I am resizing a lot of the footage - i.e zooming into some of the DV footage and moving round screen etc which would influence the field dominance in some way?

I know this is prob a very nieve question but its the 1st time i have had to mix fields/footage and then bring into a AE for a progressive output.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

de-interlace the video when you export from premier or change it to upper field first. you should only export the dvd footage from premiere using standard definition.

to change the feild when you export goto file>export>movie and click settings. on one of the tabs there should be an option to select what field is to go first. i cant remember exactly where it is but it's in there.