Thread: Help editing HD video

Default Help editing HD video

I bought a Samsung SC-HMX10A HD 720p camcorder recently, and I've been having a heck of a time editing the video I get out of it. I'm on a 17" intel iMac 2Ghz with 2G ram. I believe it records in AVCHD.

I've tried several editing programs including iMovie '08, iMovie HD and Final Cut Express and the video rather hard to edit. It takes forever to import and then once it finally is imported, the playback within the editor makes it virtually impossible to work with.

The best solution I've come across so far involves re-encoding and downsizing the video and then bringing it into the editor. While this seems to give decent results for, say Youtube, I know I'm degrading the quality, especially since there's an extra compression step after editing when I export the final product.

I have Windows XP running in a virtual machine, and I've tried using Windows Movie Maker, but I had similar problems with that method.

Does anyone have any solutions for me?

Here are a few samples of my video:

don't use an emulator. use bootcamp for windows.

your computer isn't pwoerfull enough to edit avchd.

you really need at least a quad core computer to edit avchd and it will take years to render.

you could download the trial of after effects and premiere pro. using after effects you can make a proxy and then import the after effects project into premiere pro and you won't loose any quality. a warning though, you'll have to wait a long time for it to render.

Would it be significantly easier to edit, if I did it under Boot Camp windows than with, say, iMovie in OS X. So comparing OS X and standalone windows, would there be a significant speed increase?

Quote Originally Posted by boygenius View Post
    Would it be significantly easier to edit, if I did it under Boot Camp windows than with, say, iMovie in OS X. So comparing OS X and standalone windows, would there be a significant speed increase?
    I havn't used a mac in 7 years so i cant give you an accurate measurment. you can get after effects and premiere pro for mac as well whcihc will most probably be the best option for you.

Maybe look at getting one of these?

Speed up video encoding on your Mac

Blog Entries

AVCHD sucks - he said unhelpfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    AVCHD sucks - he said unhelpfully.
    Hey - at least it wasn't an anti-Mac comment. You're learning :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe View Post
    Hey - at least it wasn't an anti-Mac comment. You're learning :P
    Lols - I must be in a good mood.

For the record - i dont think macs suck - I think mac suck ( the company ) and maccolytes are more foolish than the linux lot - it is the company and the zealots I loath and the crap they squawk.

Can you run something like Corel Prox2 on the Windows XP running in a virtual machine on the Mac the program has the option to use proxy editing that might help you, I don't think you need any thing as powerful as a quad core for the size of the video that your camera produces, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 3 GHz running XP and have no problem editing AVCHD 1080x1920 MTS files, I always stick with the original resolution and output my videos to the same resolution in AVCHD at 18000kbps, the only time I re-compress to some other resolution is to put them on Vimeo, I just put a 2 min one on yesterday that took about 16 mins to output, if you want to see what Corel Video Studio ProX2 produces I use Super C to convert the version on Vimeo this was edited using the Smart Proxy and it played back in real time with a voice over an overlay track and a title also a music track I just set the resolution of the proxy file to a lower setting but when you do the final video it goes back to the high definition video so there is no lose of quality. I'd try downloading a few trails programs and see what works, [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/3904297"]Sailing the Paddle Ski Kayak at Kaiteriteri, New Zealand,HF10 on Vimeo[/ame]
    Last edited by wandering-free; 03-30-2009 at 09:23 AM.

10. Default

I don't think windows movie maker reads the HD videos.