Thread: Sony Handycam SR46's software is dissapointing and lacking.

Default Sony Handycam SR46's software is dissapointing and lacking.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums so I think introductions are in order. My name's Joe and I'm a 19 year old Psychology Major. In my spare time I like to play music and record them before posting on youtube.

In the past, I had used my father's Panasonic Camcorder which recorded video using MiniDV tapes. I found the software highly satisfactory as I'd get my videos in a big, high quality .avi files that took up hundreds of megabytes.

Seeing as to how I'm at University 8 months at a time, I can only record during the summer. My parents decide to get me my own camcorder, so I can still record the other 2/3 of the year.

It is a Sony Handycam SR46.

For my purposes, I record video to the Hard Disk Drive.

When it is time to transfer files to my computer, however, I am most agitated. Aside from the annoyingness that comes from waiting for Picture Motion Browser to "analyse" my videos, it is MOST annoying that I can barely do ANY video editting whatsoever using the software they give me.

SO - I try to open up the mpeg2 files in Windows Movie Maker, and naturally, it fails me.

SO - I go back to Picture Motion Browser and comply to save the media as .wmv files.

Now I can edit my videos, but at this point, the quality is, for lack of a better word - shit.

So it appears that Sony has quite royally f'cked me. My options are either
    1. Do not edit the video
    2. Edit the video but suffer horrendous quality.

That's when I found this site. A lot of fingers seem to point at number 10 here:
    Digital Video Editing Guides: Digital Director - faq

So you've transferred your video from your DVD camcorder and you've got either a VOB or MPEG file to edit. Rather than trying to edit MPEG or VOB files, we can convert the compressed MPEG to DV for editing. To make the conversion from MPEG or VOB to DV, we need two tools: VirtualDubMod and the Panasonic DV codec.
    1) Open and extract the download Panasonic DV codec download. Once unzipped, install the codec by right clicking on the includec .INF file and selecting install. (click OK on any security dialogue in Service Pack 2.
    2) Unzip the contents of the VirtualDubMod zip file to your harddrive. VirtualDubMod doesn't come with an installer, so you might want to create a short cut on your start menu manually if you're going to use it a lot. I would also suggest unzipping the files to a directory under C:/Program Files/.
    3) Open up VirtualDubMod by double clicking on the .exe file VirtualDubMod (or by using the short cut you created). Now click File > Open Video File from the top menu and browse to your MPEG or VOB. (If you're using the VOB files direct from the DVD created by your miniDVD camera, transfer the VOB files to your PC first).
    4) Select Video > Compression once the MPEG is loaded and then select the Panasonic DV codec from the list and click OK
    4a) If your video is not from a DVD camcorder, you may need to resize your video to enable conversion to DV. If you get an error when trying to convert, simply select Video > Filters, then click Add and select resize from the list. Click OK. In the next dialogue box, set the New Width as 720 and the New Height as 576 (or 480 for those of you from North America and Japan). Set the filter mode to bicubic and click OK. This should prevent any errors.
    5) Select File > Save as and type in a file name. Click Save and your video will be converted to DV for editing.
    Tip: If you want to convert WMV or ASF files, download virtualDub 1.4c. VirtualDubMod can also handle the VOB files from DVD camcoders.
    Now I have numerous questions.

1. When I transfer the video files to my computer, even in mpeg2 format, they are still much smaller than .avi videos of equivalent length. Does this mean that even if the above procedures are succesful, I'll never have videos of quality as good as the ones I took using my dad's panasonic camcorder?

Open and extract the download Panasonic DV codec download. Once unzipped, install the codec by right clicking on the includec .INF file and selecting install. (click OK on any security dialogue in Service Pack 2.
    They never really specidied where I should get this Panasonic DV Codec. And I am worried about sketchy sites. A quick search on Google yielded this:

Free-Codecs.com : Download Panasonic DV Codec : Play and import DV video with any tool. The Panasonic VFW DV codec works perfect with Virtualdub

Would the above be appropriate?

3. Would a Panasonic DV Codec actually be appropriate for my purposes? Or shold I be looking for a Panasonic DV Codec?

Unzip the contents of the VirtualDubMod zip file to your harddrive.
    Again, it is never actually explicitly stated where to get this program. A quick google search yields this:

SourceForge.net: VirtualDubMod: Files

I assume that works, can someone confirm with me? And if so, how many packages do I need? All? or can I just get away with one?

Thanks in advance,

If everything works out, I can't wait to share my videos on these forums
    Last edited by Joe22c; 03-26-2009 at 09:35 AM.