Thread: Vegas Rendering Default/ Left Sound Only Editing

Default Vegas Rendering Default/ Left Sound Only Editing

Hi. I have Sony Vegas 8.0. I am trying to render my DVD recorded video to regular formats, they don't have too high of a quality anyways, but can't seem to replicate the same video quality. Anything I try on the templates and other save as options make huge videos, or bad quality ones. How can we just render them and have the same quality as before without the huge file size?

My immediate question is actually asking what to do to a video which has only the left speaker working. I have edited in Vegas to have both, however again, I don't know how to render it or save that video as it is after the edit. Is there an easier way to make my video have sound from both speakers? Can I just make the video play as mono? Which works when I choose that option when I use VLC player.

Thanks for reading please help me with this question.

Blog Entries

Whoa! A lot of unclear questions in there.
    Let's start with your second question first.
    What is the source ofyour video?
    Is the sound mono or stereo?
    If play the source in (say) VLC player, does the sound come out of both speakers?
    If you drop it into Vegas and play in the preview windowsm does it come out of both speakers?
    What are you doing to "edit it in Vegas to have both"?

To render it (ie make another cmpleted video file that you can play in another program or burn to DVD) use File | Render and select the appropriate format.

As for the first question, give us some examples of what template you're using, all setting and what the length of video is and how large a file you'e ending up with.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by BrioCloud View Post
    Hi. I have Sony Vegas 8.0. I am trying to render my DVD recorded video to regular formats, they don't have too high of a quality anyways, but can't seem to replicate the same video quality. Anything I try on the templates and other save as options make huge videos, or bad quality ones. How can we just render them and have the same quality as before without the huge file size?

My immediate question is actually asking what to do to a video which has only the left speaker working. I have edited in Vegas to have both, however again, I don't know how to render it or save that video as it is after the edit. Is there an easier way to make my video have sound from both speakers? Can I just make the video play as mono? Which works when I choose that option when I use VLC player.

Thanks for reading please help me with this question.
    BrioCloud, since this is a vegas related question, I left it here but deleted the one in the general section. In the future please dont make duplicate post.. Thanks for your understanding in this matter.. and welcome to the forums
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Agh. Sorry for the unclear questions. I didn't know you needed all these questions, I never video or audio edit.

Source of video:

Using GSpot it says its an XVID codec video.
    Bit rate: 1204 kb/s
    FPS: 25.00

I just downloaded this and right click properties does not show mono or stereo. If played anywhere sound only comes from the left speaker. When I drop it in Vegas I see the sound coming from one side, the top lines. I'm guessing its the left speaker. On VLC I have to choose audio as mono. That's the only way I ever get sound coming from both speakers. Whats the best way to edit the video to play from both speakers?

I don't want to throw you too many questions. But about my first question no settings I'm using is getting the same quality as my regular video. Which is only about a 500mb video for ~40 minute of video.

Blog Entries

Using GSpot it says its an XVID codec video.
    Ah-hah! See later.

If played anywhere sound only comes from the left speaker.
    So, Vegas is just see exactly what other media players are seeing. That's good - it means we've not got anything funny going on.

As you see the wav just on the top line, this means you've got a stereo track with nothing on the RH channel.

Whats the best way to edit the video to play from both speakers?
    Right click on the audio in the timeline
    Select "Channels" and then either "Left Only" or "Combine"

Both will produce a mono track (sound from both speakers)
    Combine will add the sound on the silent channel (might be useful if not entirely silent) to the other.
    "Left Only" appears to double the value (in terms of volume) of what's in the left channel (and hence make the levels too high for immediate use)

Job done!

I don't want to throw you too many questions. But about my first question no settings I'm using is getting the same quality as my regular video. Which is only about a 500mb video for ~40 minute of video.
    The XVID codec is a delivery codec not an editing codec. It is designed to deliver very high quality and highly compressed video.

By dropping it into Vegas and then trying to render it as anything else you are having to decompress first (which will most likely result in a loss of quality) then recompress it using a different codec (which will resiult in another loss of quality)

XVID is simply not designed for editing.

I can't answer your next, as yet unasked, question about whether Vegas can render files with the XVID codec as I've never tried. Sorry.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Ah-hah! See later.

So, Vegas is just see exactly what other media players are seeing. That's good - it means we've not got anything funny going on.

As you see the wav just on the top line, this means you've got a stereo track with nothing on the RH channel.

Right click on the audio in the timeline
    Select "Channels" and then either "Left Only" or "Combine"

Both will produce a mono track (sound from both speakers)
    Combine will add the sound on the silent channel (might be useful if not entirely silent) to the other.
    "Left Only" appears to double the value (in terms of volume) of what's in the left channel (and hence make the levels too high for immediate use)

Job done!

The XVID codec is a delivery codec not an editing codec. It is designed to deliver very high quality and highly compressed video.

By dropping it into Vegas and then trying to render it as anything else you are having to decompress first (which will most likely result in a loss of quality) then recompress it using a different codec (which will resiult in another loss of quality)

XVID is simply not designed for editing.

I can't answer your next, as yet unasked, question about whether Vegas can render files with the XVID codec as I've never tried. Sorry.
    Thanks for the info!

But wait. Like I said I have already edited in Vegas to make it play in both speakers. The problem is now saving it onto the video, thats where this rendering problem occurs. I want to watch this video in other places with sound working in both speakers without that loss of quality. Is there a way to edit just this audio without changing the video? Does this make sense?
    Last edited by BrioCloud; 03-25-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Like I said I have already edited in Vegas to make it play in both speakers.
    Sorry. Missed the wood for the trees.
    So, in Vegas you've got it in both speakers.
    Whan you ren der (to what? using what templates?) are you saying the resulting video only has sound on one channel?
    I thought your rendering problem was all to do with matching the quality of the source footage - which, as I've already explained, won't happen unless your source is a readily editable format.
    Tim