Thread: Format Options

Default Format Options

Hello Everyone,

New member, here. I just made my first video. It's a combination of a couple clips. I was wondering if anyone knew whats the best format to produce it in. I tried "AVI" and my audio is slow, and not keeping up with the video. Would a different format help? Would it help if I changed the quality to a lower quality? There is No Compression Maximum (Meduim, Low) Quality, Cinepak Codec by Radius (Max, Med, Low), Intel Indeo, and New Soft. The formating options on my program are AVI, DV-AVI, MPEG-1 (VCD), WMV, and Real Media. Thanks for the help.

-- MLH

Quote Originally Posted by mlh0332 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

New member, here. I just made my first video. It's a combination of a couple clips. I was wondering if anyone knew whats the best format to produce it in. I tried "AVI" and my audio is slow, and not keeping up with the video. Would a different format help? Would it help if I changed the quality to a lower quality? There is No Compression Maximum (Meduim, Low) Quality, Cinepak Codec by Radius (Max, Med, Low), Intel Indeo, and New Soft. The formating options on my program are AVI, DV-AVI, MPEG-1 (VCD), WMV, and Real Media. Thanks for the help.

-- MLH
    DV-AVI all the way!!!

Thanks! I produced it in that format, and instead of being 34 GB, its now only 1.4 GB. It also plays better. But, when I tried to upload it to Facebook, it said it was too big. It's only 7 min. It says the limit is 1024 MB. Good news is, the audio is working. The problem is it wont upload to Youtube, Facebook, or Yahoo email.

Do you have something like Quicimte Pro so you can re-export at lower resolution? What you have there is probably basically a full res file so it's relatively big.

Alternatively re-export it and restrict the data-rate to say 100k and see how that goes

Hm, I don't have Quincimate Pro. I have the option to pic a different video format, like MPEG, Cinipak, Intel Indeo or WMV. Maybe that would make it smaller? And do a lower quality on those? That may really jeprodize the quality of the picture. Or, under DV-AVI format (which I'm assuming is the best one), I have the option to make it 44.1 "kHz" instead of 48. Would that help?

dv-avi is best for archiving and final product. for web distribution use wmv. play around with the setting and see what comes up.

what software are you using?

New Soft Video Works 6, it came with my DXG camera/camcoder. I was able to upload it to the internet with WMV format, but the quality is terrible. Much worse than the quality on Youtube videos and this is a HD camera. After I selected WMV it has another selection under"Video Profile for Windows Media." Maybe if I pick a different one the quality will be better. The one I chose was "Video for LAN, cable modem, or xDSL (100 to 768 Kbps)." There are other options like "Video for broadband NTCS", "Video for broadband film content (768 kbps)", or "Video for web servers (26 Kbps)", to name a few. I want video to have the same quality as Youtube, and with a High Definition camera it should, right? Any of those other options make more sense?

I've never uploaded to Facebook so might be giving you bad advice but I upload to Vimeo and always do my conversions with Super C it's freeware. eRightSoft