Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make Sin City-like effect

1. Default How to make Sin City-like effect

Hello.

I'm about to film a small short film with a few friends. The final film is going to be black and white. My question is how can i make some elements in the picture to be in color, a bit like in Sin City. Can i do this with Premiere or After effects. If yes are there any available tutorials?
    I'm using Premiere CS3, as well as After effects. I guess i can make it frame by frame in Photoshop but that will be a pain in the....

I almost forgot. Is it better to shoot the film in black and white and then give different elements colors, or shoot in color and leave some elements in color?
    Last edited by csm; 03-22-2009 at 10:07 PM.

its better to shoot in color, then key out all but the color you want
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

shoot in color and make a make everything balck and white, insert the video again but over the top and make sure it's colored.. put a mask onto the bits you want color.

Blog Entries

When you shoot if you are careful you can make things easier on post. For example if you make all the objects you want to keep in colour nice strong colours then in post you may get away with playing with the saturation tool and zero masking.

That is how I have done this with little work.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought to do it like that. Am actually tempted to go and try that right now...

What do you mean by 'zero masking'?

Blog Entries

Zero maksing - I mean like you dont have to mask.

It really is a cinch if you pick strong subject colours that dont appear in the scene.

If you have a powerful enough computer you may be able to use some of the Blend modes, as you can do a similar effect in Photoshop. You need to duplicate the clip, desaturate the lower clip to greyscale and on the top clip set it to one of the blend modes. In the picture attached I used Darker Colour, if that' available in AE then try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default How to make Sin City -like effect

I have just watch a tutorial for Premeire Pro 1.5 for exactly what you are referring to in your post, it envolves using Color Pass the steps are explained in this tutorial videoI found it at Wrigleyvideo.com. Hope it helps
    Last edited by 377sps; 03-24-2009 at 10:09 PM.

9. Default

Thanks for all the replies and the link. I'll cjeck it out right now.
    The colors will be the primary ones - blue, red and yellow. They are pretty strong, and there will be none other, so I was thinking about the saturation method. I;ll try out all, experience never hearts
    Thanks all

Default some tutorials for doing this in After Effects

The basis of this workflow in After Effects is the Leave Color effect. If you've planned ahead and used strong, unique colors for your subject, you can get away without doing any masking, but otherwise you may end up doing some rotoscoping---drawing and animating at least a rough mask around your subject.

One tip: Set the Match Colors option to HSB, not RGB. It's more useful to match hue for this color operation.

You can find a few tutorials about achieving this result with this After Effects Community Help search for 'sin city' or this After Effects Community Help search for 'pleasantville' .

(Yes, _Pleasantville_ used this technique long before _Sin City_.)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
    After Effects Help and Support
    Premiere Pro Help and Support
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast