Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full VHS audio sync issues

1. Default Full VHS audio sync issues

Found this forum via Google and thought perhaps y'all could help answer a few questions I have. I want to xfer all my old home videos to my computer for storage, editing & to burn to DVD. I thought I could just perform the capture process while I slept at nite, but by the 1st hour, the audio starts losing sync. Will I have to just capture an hour or so at a time, then stop and repeat? By the 6th hour, the audio is 3 or 4 seconds out of sync. Since this is progressive, moving the audio line will affect the beginning more so than the end. Also, what is the best format to capture at? MPEG-2?

I've bee using Pinnacle Studio 9 for a while, but quite frankly, it sucks. I have Premeir, but I dont have the time to adapt to its steeper learning curve. I'm gonna give Sony Vegas a try and see how Ilike it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx!

How are you transferring your old vhs tapes to your computer?

What is the spec of your computer?

When did you last do a disk defrag on it?

Stop using mpeg as a capture file format, use avi instead, edit the avi and when done burn out to a disc using mpeg2.

More details please on your setup???

3. Default

Thanx for replying. So import as avi, do my editing and whatnot, then export to DVD as MP2?
    My PC is as follows:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    4gb RAM
    500gb HD
    200gb external HD
    Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit video card
    Just formatted HD, so no real need for defragging just yet.

I am using an old JVC Super-VHS connected via S-video & composite audio to computer capture card & audio line in to import my tapes. Is there a better way to do it? What resolution should I import at? 352x240?

You would be better recording at 720x576 for PAL or 720x480 for NTSC, What is you capture card and does it do DV avi it might be listed as Microsoft DV avi in Premiere, which I think Nikosony is referring to and is the ideal way of doing it. alternatively you can just record to a DVD recorder and then edit the mpg or VOB files, just change the extension to mpg if your editing software doesn't recognize the VOB files however if your capture card will work with Premiere I'd give that a go first you can set the interleave for the video and audio to 1 frame and then you won't get any out of sync problems they will be locked together.
    Bryan

5. Default

I was under the impression that since the video takes a bit longer for the computer to capture than the audio, that after an hr or so the video wouls start to lag behind just a bit. I think Im going to try Sony Vegas as my new video editor. I have an older version of Premeir on my old computer, but I just havent made myself sit down and really try to get familiar with it. I appreciate y'alls advice. i just want to get all these videos transferred before the tapes wear out. One of those things I've been telling myself I'm gonna do for years, but just havent done so. I just built myself (with the help of a buddy) a new PC that will do a better job of rendering than my old one. I would get so frustrated because the other would lock up, or take forever only to fail at the write DVD process. This new build should do the job. I hope y'all dont mind if I ask along the way ('cause you know I will). Thanx again!
    OH, I forgot, the capture card I'm using is a Legacy that came bundled with Pinnacle Studio. How much of a factor does the capture card come into play? I think it has firewire/s-video, composite inputs on it.

Your computer certainly has the spec, I wouldn't use the 'older' version of Premiere, better to use an up to date editor such as Sony Vegas if you intend getting it. Download a 30 day trial first to make sure it is a piece of software you can get to grips with and will work with no problems. The video and audio shouldn't lag. I have never captured an entire hour of video all in one go, if I have an hour to capture, I will do it in 3 x 20 minute clips as scrolling back and forth on the timeline trying to find a particular scene is just a nightmare. It's just the way I work, others may do it differently.

I'm not familiar with the Legacy capture card so I can't comment on how good or bad it is but I did use earlier versions of Pinnacle Studio and I thought it was one of the worst editors I had ever used. I will repeat what Wandering Free said above, you should be capturing in either 720 x 576 and 25 frames per second, if you are in PAL tv land but I suspect you are living in NTSC tv land going by the 'y'all and buddy' you use. It should therefore be 720 x 480 at 30 frames per second.

7. Default

Lol, Yep, I', in the South as you surmised. I did indeed DL the trial Veggas editor and to my suprise, you can't capture via analog!! Its DV or better! As easy as Pinnacle is to use, I agree, it absolutely sucks! It has so much potential as an entry level editor with powerful tools, yet it's so unstable, slow and buggy. I guess i could capture with Pinnacle or Windows Movie maker then edit with Vegas. It just irks me that I just built a new PC and I'm still having problems. I just want to plug my VCR ini, let it play for 6 hrs, then go back and chop up the different videos and save to my hard drive for editing and burning to a DVD. Any suggestions for a good capture software that captures analog and has decent editing tools? I'm still gonna polish up on Vegas and see how i like it. Just cant understand why it doesnt allow you to capture analog.

You can get cheap analogue to USB external capture boxes, but I haven't tried any so I can't comment on how good or bad they are. You could also record your old VHS tapes to a home dvd recorder and even if the files are vob's you could use a freeware video convertor to change them to avi or at least wmv so the popular editors could use them. Just finalise the dvd in the recorder, put it into your computer and copy the vob files onto your hard disk. Then using SUPER C or similar, convert to dv avi or wmv, you may need to download the latest video and audio codecs for your computer if you do not have them already. Then you should be able to import the new video files into the editor and take it from there.

9. Default

Ive ran across threads that mention using a DV camera as the go between. Will there be any PQ lossif i go that route? At least any thats more than nominal.

Picture quality loss using VHS? There will be no picture quality loss unless the original video is in a bad state then any copy will be as bad. Getting a mini dv cam with av in sockets and firewire out is a good idea, takes a bit of fiddling about with the settings in the menu to work properly though.

You can either stick a mini dv tape in the camera and record onto it or just let the video and audio pass through the camera, be converted to a digital signal and then output from the firewire socket which is connected to your computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast