Thread: Vegas Power

1. Default Vegas Power

Hi,

I'm looking to change editing platfoms (fed up with Canopus) and I like the sound of Vegas Pro.

But, where does the realtime support come from? Most other editing suites have PCI Cards. How does Vegas Pro do all the stuff the other editing suites do, but without hardware?

Is it all based on the PC's GPU and CPU?

Thanks!

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinstlucia View Post
    Hi,

Is it all based on the PC's GPU and CPU?
    No. It's ALL CPU! Seriously. And with the power of modern CPUs that isn't really a problem.

If you're doing intensive stuff you'll need the preview quality set low (and you probably won't have it on best unless you're doing little other than straight cuts) And rendering complex FX may well take longer - but how important that is depends on whether you are happy to leave your PC chugging away while you do something else or whether you need it back really, really soon.

The great thing is as you don't need to buy any new hardware, you can just download the fully operational 30 day trial and see how well or badly it suits your needs.
    Tim

3. Default

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply! Well, the system I am looking at building would include the Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz, with at least 6GB DDR3 memory, and I'd be basically do straight cuts / some fades etc with HD footage (some 1080p maybe), but certainly no complex filters / compositing or anything like that. How many streams of HD vid would I be able to scrub through in realtime with that system? I really don't mind setting it to preview in lower res...

Thanks again,

Chris

and just to add to what Tim said.. my systems not the most high end system out there.. 32 bit 2 gig ram 3.2 gig proc.. and version 8 runs great.. in fact faster then 6 and 7 did..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply! Well, the system I am looking at building would include the Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz, with at least 6GB DDR3 memory
    Drool!
    (Sad to think in two year's time that'll be considered an entry level machine)

How many streams of HD vid would I be able to scrub through in realtime with that system?
    Not working in HD I can't really comment on that. However, it does depend what "HD" as different types use different compression with (from what I've read) AVCHD being the most difficult (most CPU intensive) to work with and HDV somewhat better.

Even with as powerful system as yours, you may want to consider creating "proxy" files to do your editing, then replacing with te turs HD footage at render time. (See Gear Shift or AVC UpShift from VASST for a examples)

Having said that, many people report no problem editing in native HDV/AVCHD so it's definitely a case of try before you buy.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Actually - no editors use a ' normal ' gpu for number crunching. A few use very expensive bespoke cards but as a rule they cost too much for creatives.

Editing will really never be real time - it's not in it's nature - I think the term is misunderstood and misused.

However - faster is always better and depending on how fast you edit, what you edit, and the complexity of what you create you will likely have your own ' point of frustration ' .

Always get he fastest pc you can as you will nearly always benefit from more power however you work.

This is especially true if you intend to edit hdv / avchd natively.

Lots of contributors here think I am a twat for still shooting in SD DV - albeit a last of DV professional camera - and still singing it's praises over so called HD formats - and a big part of that is cos I can edit super fast on ony a dual core using dv. A smooth and responsive time line makes editing more fun.

A modern PC with a i7 chip and 4 cores would be about as repsponsive with hdv I reckon.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    AVCHD being the most difficult (most CPU intensive) to work with and HDV somewhat better.

Even with as powerful system as yours, you may want to consider creating "proxy" files to do your editing, then replacing with te turs HD footage at render time. (See Gear Shift or AVC UpShift from VASST for a examples)

Having said that, many people report no problem editing in native HDV/AVCHD so it's definitely a case of try before you buy.
    I was leaning towards the AVCHD format as the Panasonic AG-HMC150 looks like the camera for me.

I was also looking at editing proxy files as you suggest.

Blog Entries

HDV - slow but widely comaptible.

AVCHD - slower and very advisable to check your favoured apps work with this format.