Thread: Do PAL and NTSC matter in HD?

1. Default Do PAL and NTSC matter in HD?

Hi - a question I'd like to ask: Can the same HD footage be viewed by people in both PAL and NTSC countries? I know PAL is 25fps and NTSC is 29.97 fps, so since that goes out the window with HD, surely if I get an HD camcorder from the USA, shoot footage and play the resulting DVD on a set top player in the UK, it should view properly, right?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

You can shoot on a ntsc camera and then make it into pal when you edit to ensure comaptability but this is not ideal as there may be some small loss in quality doing that and it is an added complication you may rue confronting.

Also if you stay in ntsc - ntsc dvds look poor compared to pal and many dvd players wont play them.

ntsc - never the same colour - a gag i have heard and in my own expirience the black level in ntsc is too grey compared to pal.

Sure may not be bothered, but why bother ?

Lots about this - PAL vs NTSC
    Last edited by Mark W; 03-20-2009 at 06:41 PM.

East Riding of Yorkshire

Framerate doesn't matter in HD, I believe, but if you're down converting to a standard def DVD, it's not ideal at all.

The only good method is pixel motion in after effects, which takes a VERY long time to render. Other than that you can dupe frames, or leave some out, both of which look really ugly.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies. I have to convert SD video from time to time, and there is a loss of quality. I've been shooting weddings and little things like that, but I have an opportunity to shoot some HD projects that will end up in both PAL and NTSC regions. So I'm trying to figure out what to do.

If you look at the Panasonic AG-HMC150 AVCCAM (two of which I am thinking of buying), you'll see that the USA model's signal system is:

1080/60i, 1080/30p (over 60i), 1080/24p (native), 720/60p, 720/30p(over 60p)
    720/24p (native).

Compare this to the UK model:

1080/50i, 1080/25p (over 50i), 720/50p and 720/25p (over 50p)

So I guess the framerate is still going to make the two formats inherently different.

So I will still need to convert the framerates from 25fps to 29.97fps and vice versa.

Does anyone know what sort of results I can expect in HD? I assume that converted footage would not be up to broadcast standard.