Thread: Firewire card on laptop

Default Firewire card on laptop

I have Dell Inspiron 1545 that I got before I got into editing and so didn't think about a firewire port.

I there any way I can install a firewire port onto the machine, or any other way of capturing from a Canon MD205 mini-DV camera so I can edit in Adobe Premier pro?

Dell aren't being too helpful.

Or, is there a way I could use someone else's computer who does have a firewire port and then transfer the unedited, original files over to my laptop to edit (eg. could I use an external harddrive and use a comp with a firewire to capture and then plug the external drive into mine and import it into Adobe?) ?

Thanks in advance,

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

I have never seen a f wire to usb tingy - however your latter soloution should work well.

I have a laptop and am in the market for an external DVD burner. It is a Dell Inspiron 1150, which only has 2 USB ports (USB 2.0).

In the threads I have read, several people have mentioned that firewire works better than USB for DVD burners (despite an apparently slower transfer rate?). Would it be worthwhile getting a PCMCIA card with firewire on it?

It is scarry to read the reviews and see how many people have problems with their DVD burners, so I want to do it right. Money is tight, so I don't need a Catilac, but I don't want to buy twice.

My primary use will be backing up my computer files, but if I am getting a DVD burner, I hope to use it for backing up movies. It would be nice to be able to copy CD's in a single step with the CD-RW/DVD ROM drive in the laptop.

Any advice on low cost external DVD burner models is also welcome.

First things first, firewire is faster that usb 2.0. you don't need to go any faster than usb 2 anyway...

one of these will work LiteOn EZDUB USB DVD+/-RW 20x External Kit White - Retail : : LIT-EZUA12

I've never had any problems with lite-On. i believe it's plug and play for windows xp and vista.