Thread: Need new std def camcorder!

Default Need new std def camcorder!

My ageing but very trusty Canon MP4 finally gave up the ghost yesterday, I think it had heard\me and the wife talking about upgrading and couldn't take it!

We have been talking about moving to a HD recorder, however from reading many many threads, you basically get what you pay for and at the moment funds cannot stretch that far for a good HD unit.

We would like to spend around the 300-350 mark on a fairly decent Std. Def camera, but my preferred format would be Mini DV, but there seems to be a severe lack of this media hardware around!

I'd like to be able to squeeze every ounce of quality out of the image and want to record uncompressed onto tape rather than a compressed format onto HDD or SD card.

EDIT: Would also like an external mic socket, as my wife says she can hear me coughing and breathing on a lot of videos!!!!

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Western Europe

If you are going to get a mini dv then you might want to have a look at this camcorder...

Canon MD205 Mini DV Camcorder - Jessops

What do you mean by "but there seems to be a severe lack of this media hardware around!" Do you mean the mini dv is disappearing? Where have you been looking?

You don't need to blow the entire 350 on just the camcorder, you want to think about getting an entire package including bag, tripod, tapes, cleaning cloth, lens tissues and a spare battery. You will need these items every time you use your camcorder. And don't forget a Firewire cable if you haven't got one already to connect the camcorder to your computer. Windows Movie Maker will get you started on the editing.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 03-19-2009 at 11:04 PM.