Thread: Ideas?? What do I do?

Default Ideas?? What do I do?

Okay, so I was reading the Ten Commandments of Video Making or something like that and realized that you guys are 901298309128309811 times out of my league! You actually have like nice cameras and mics and you get a bunch of people together to do a "shoot".

This is what I do:

"Hey Nathan!! (he's my 13-year-old brother). We should make a video!" Then I grab my little camera and we chose a song or just do random things based upon a simple plot. (I had a funny plot where a guy gets addicted to second-hand smoking and goes up behind people who are smoking and just starts inhaling! haha... that's besides the point!) Then we start randomly taping. Either I tape him, he tapes me, or we set the camera on a chair, table or even the floor when we're both in the thing.

This is what I have:

• Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11 with green screen (it's a stupid blanket... is that what you guys use?)
    • A pretty nice tripod, it's my mom's for her camera but she lets me use it!
    • We make our own props out of random house-hold items!
    • RCA- DSP3 Camcorder..... that's right, it's an enormous VHS tape recorder!
    • And last, a Panasonic PV-GS83 that takes Mini-Cassetts!
    So, with that said. What is a simple idea I could do with the things listed above and a brother? Also, does someone want to run down the basics to me? I know nothing except for tips that the Pinnacle Instruction Manual gave me. For example, you might tell me about taping different angles, length of scenes, when to add in special effects, etc.

Basically, what do I do?

Your question is akin to asking 'ok I've just been born there. I've got these 2 arms, hands, and a couple of legs, and am keen to start using them. At the minute I'm just flailing them about a bit. What should I do?'

Where to start!

Don't forget we all started the same way as you ie knowing far less than you want to. At least you have the good sense to acknowledge that you've got a lot to learn.

You've got a camera, you're improvising, you're interested, you're coming up with good ideas (the best short films are based on neat little ideas like becoming addicted to second hand smoking) and you're asking for advice so I'd say you're doing it all right so far.

First thing I'd say is don't try and rush things; it takes a long time to 'get good' so keep making stuff, post it on here, show it to friends etc, and every time you make something you will learn something new. Be open to criticism cos it's the best way to learn.

As for angles, effects etc. there is no set rule for this; it is a feeling or a style you will develop as you progress. Some people like fast cuts and pace; some people like slow cuts and emotion etc. You should start watching stuff from a filmmaker's point of view - be asking yourself 'why have they cut to this close-up', 'why has this wide shot held for so long' 'how/why did they get that angle there' and think about the pacing ie. how often there actually is a cut. Start looking at the transitions from shot to shot ,rather than the content of each shot (but don't do this all the time as you'll start to go mad!)

Okay thanks!! So I guess I'll just start making videos then...... uhm, so what do I do first? I've got the basic addicted to second hand smoking idea, what now?

EDIT: Thanks!
    Last edited by Bubleeshaark; 03-20-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubleeshaark View Post
    Okay thanks!! So I guess I'll just start making videos then...... uhm, so what do I do first? I've got the basic addicted to second hand smoking idea, what now?
    Expand the idea into a story.
    Then turn the story into a script.
    Then turn your script into a storyboard (this is a list of each shot you want)

These needn't be done formally as such, if it's short enough you may be able to hold all the ideas in your head. But I would say as a minimum, write down the shots you require.

When you come to shoot, you'll shoo knowing that you're likely to use those shots in the edit. This will (a) make editing far more pleasurable than wading through hours of unplanned footage and (b) ensure you concentrate when shooting each shot (if you don't know whether or not you'll use the footage it's all too easy to be lazy)

NOTE This does NOT preclude spontaneity. On the shoot, you will probably come up with fresh ideas and you should shoot those as well, but by making sure you've got the planned shots you will at least knowyou've got something to fall back on if the fresh ideas don't work/go wrong.

And most people here dont actually work in groups most of the time
    Tim

I'd tell the 'stupid' blanket to get smart as soon as possible too... A stupid blanket will only hold you back.

Film stuff. See what works and what doesn't. Then stop doing the stuff that doesn't work.

Blog Entries

Only read first post.

I wouls say that you ODNT need great kit to make great films. Some of my best films have been shot on a vintage tatty sony pc4. I also just last week watched a feature film shot on SD DV - thats a feture film that cost a few 100,000 and went on dvd and cinema release ( not showcase tho - lol )

Pavee Lackeen: The Traveller Girl (2005)

Alright, I read all of your posts and I don't really need to reply to them all. I'm gonna make a short movie now; I'm on spring break so hopefully I can shoot up a couple!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubleeshaark View Post
    hopefully I can shoot up a couple!
    Hey, it was only advice. No need to turn to drugs.
    Tim