Thread: Video looks dark when played back on some TVs/DVD players

Default Video looks dark when played back on some TVs/DVD players

I have been editing my videos with Adobe Premiers Pro 2.0 for quite a long time. The only problem I am having is that when I export my edited video to MPEG2-DVD and make a DVD video. When this DVD is played, on some TVs it looks alright(brightness, color) but on some TVs it looks dark. Seems like the difference in brands of TVs or DVD players determines the video quality.

I belive there must be a way to correct this problems so that the video can be bright enough to play on any TV. I have tried using the broadcast colors effect but didn't make a difference. Maybe I don't know much on how to use this feature, all I did was set it to PAL.

Can someone please help me out?
    Last edited by dalitso; 03-17-2009 at 07:31 AM.

They make adjustment controls on TVs for a reason, not all are set the same and not all viewer like the same look. It would be impossible for the DVD authoring program to know what levels were set on any particular DVD player or TV. If you find a program that smart please let me know about it Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Thanks for your reply.
    I understand about the TV settings being different and also according to one's preference. I thought that maybe there is a way of standardasing the video settings the way I think all DVDs are made. You see, I don't change brightness or color settings on the TV when I am watching an original DVD movie. Even if I play another different movie, the settings are still ok. I don't have to change settings with every DVD I play, but when it comes to my home made movie edited by Premier, its dark.
    Is it maybe the camera I'm using or Premier isn't ggod enough to produce a picture to the standard of original DVDs? Am using a Sony DCR-HC26E mini Dv handycam

There is a drastic difference between home burned DVDs and Hollywood produced DVDs pressed from a glass master. Hollywood uses very expensive cameras, lenses, and editing and mastering systems. Don't expect to produce the same quality.

You can up the brightness or contrast on the entire timeline, find the settings that look the best, then save the preset and apply that preset to everything you do. I don't know that it will help however. Are you burning with Encore? Maybe there is a setting in Encore that will allow you to change the brightness and contract levels, if there is I don't know about it. Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more

Thank you very much Chuck Engels. You really clarified thing form me. I guess there had to be a difference between hollywood movie equipment and home equipment. But like you said, I will keep on trying to play with the settings to make it better.

Yes, I am using Encore for burning. I will check if there is a setting in encore to help with the brightness.