Thread: Lost in Vegas!

Default Lost in Vegas!

Well, not lost exactly!

Hi, first post. Love the forum.

I've found my way around Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 pretty well, but I think I'm missing something simple.
    After importing my project to the timeline and splitting it all up into nice clean clips, I'm cutting, pasting and moving them along the timeline to where I want them.
    I thought they might shoot up to the media file bin after splitting, allowing me to drag them back into the timeline!
    It seems I can't cut the clips and put them into a folder somewhere else (to import back), either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike.

This is not how Vegas works.

When you edit on the Timeline you are only making references to the underlying Media which is untouched. It is not affected by whatever you do do on the Timeline. This is a good thing. What you/I/we do is manipulate these references to the Media, and these references are called "Events". And it is Events that we move, cut. split, overlap and so on. If you DO wish to created a "Bin-enabled" item, then you have to Right Click and create a "Subclip" ( which I find is misleading to newbies, as it really is a "sub-Event"!). Then you can treat these Subclips in the same Bin way as you would the orginal Media Clips. Now, be warned, these Subclips are only references, again, to the original Media and as such are NOT Media in their own right.

Blog Entries

This is what modern editing is...

Non-linear editing system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dont forget you need to RENDER your project befor it is a piece of independtant medida that cam be played out of the editor.

Mark, do any "other" NLEs produce Bin-able post edit "clips" directly from the Timeline, without rendering?

Blog Entries

Dunno - I have only firted with other apps. My above is intended as additional info.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm "right clicking" like a loony..... can't find anything that mentions "subclip"!

I understand the points you're making about the original media file and the events in the timeline, I've rendered some projects and I'm really pleased with the results.

I really like Sony Vegas, it just seems a little "primitive" ( and very time consuming) to be moving everything around so much on the timeline!
    Is that how you more experienced guys do it?

Actually, just thinking about it! What if I wanted to use a short clip from another project or original media source in my project. Would I have to import that whole video into the the timeline as well, and delete everything I didn't want to use?

Mike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mykey View Post

I'm "right clicking" like a loony..... can't find anything that mentions "subclip"!
    Hi Mike. Grazie knows nearly everything there is to know about Vegas and is incredibly helpful and imaginitive. Unfortunately, in this instance, there was a bit outside the "nearly" which is that subclips are only available in Vegas Pro.

At least that's what it says in my help for Movie Studio 6.

However, you CAN name and use REGIONS, which is another way of selecting part of an event.

(Following notes from my experiments with VMS6 Platinum)

Open your clip in the trimmer (actually, from the way you are talking, it sounds to me as if using the trimmer to trim your clips before adding them to the timeline would better suit your workflow)
    Drag to select the bit you want.
    Press "R" to create a region and name your region.
    Click the "Save" Icon IN THE TRIMMER. Now when you go to the Vegas Explorer (not the Windows Explorer) and select "Region View" the regions will appear and can be dragged at will onto the timeline.

Unfortunatley they cannot be placed in Media Bins.

BUT HERE'S A FUNNY THING......
    This may only be because I have Vegas 8 Pro installed on the same machine BUT.

If I create a Region on in the trimmer and then right-click on one of the ends of the region (on the "flag" with the number in it) I get an option to "create subclip" which then works exactly as expected - it appears in the project media and can be placed in bins.

Quite apart from all that, I strongly recommend you investigate the trimmer. Many people find it much more efficient to open a clip in the trimmer, select a bit they want then drop that onto the timeline. This avoids all the "moving about" that I think you're alluding to. I suspect you'll find this fits in with your way of thinking.

Vegas is very accommodating in that it often allows many different ways of achieving the same thing. And it's up to us, the users, to work out which best suits our individual workflow.

If primitive means it doesn't hide from you what's going on, then, yes, Vegas is primitive.
    Tim

If primitive means it doesn't hide from you what's going on, then, yes, Vegas is primitive.

Ok, primitive was a bit strong!

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, Tim.
    I did try the trimmer quite early on but couldn't see the advantage, I didn't think to drag the clips down to the timeline....doh!

Such a lot to learn, but as I'm the kind of bloke that enjoys untangling headphone leads and the like....it's kinda pleasurable

Mike.