Thread: complete newbie to video editing - help!

Default complete newbie to video editing - help!

I have some old VHS shows of my friends' band that I have burned to DVD. I have finalized the discs and have watched them on a regular DVD player. They play just fine, but the audio and video is off just enough to annoy people. I have downloaded AVS Video Editor and AVS Video Converter and just don't get how to use it. I would like to make sure this trial version will do what I need it to do (I also want to create chapters of each song) before I plunk down my hard earned money to buy the full version.

Is anyone familiar enough with this software or maybe someone can recommend some other software that is more user friendly? I have also tried the Windows Movie Maker software that came pre-loaded on my laptop, but can't get past the audio/video sync issue to move forward.

Heres the catch.. Anyone here that'll will recomend software will recomend the one they use.. So I'll say this.. Go to sony's website and download the vegas or vegas studio software (free trial) and do the same at the adobe site and get premier pro or eliments and see what you like... Personaly I've used both and prefer Vegas others prefer premier.. its all a matter of what you like... As far as AVS goes I never used it so I cant help there.. good luck
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

For what you are doing Premiere 6 would do fine you might be able to pick it up cheap, I always used it for DV editing, I then set the interleave to 1 frame to lock the audio and video together I found if I left it to the default it caused problems getting out of sync.

Thank you both for your replies. I have since done some research on my, apparent, piece of crap Samsung DVD/VCR recorder and other consumers have consistently report audio/video sync issues with no way to resolve the issue, even from Samsung. If I can just find a decent recorder, I think I can figure out the editing issues.

If you did need to re-sync the video and audio you can do in Premiere by unlinking the video and audio and sliding the audio along the audio track.

Is that really time consuming? And what program or software should I use to do that? I was just thinking of buying a different DVD recorder to get the audio and video sync'd up right to begin with, but if this is relatively easy to do (remember, I'm a newbie), then that might be the better way to go, as I don't have a lot of disposable income right now.

That would depend on if it is constantly out by say by 10 frames you would just slid it that amount and it would be fixed if however it is variably out that would be a big job. you could do it another way if it is an mpg and that is to demultiplex it that would give you a separate video and audio, you could then recombine them in sync in any editing program, you would only use that method if your program didn't give you the option to unlink, there are numerous ways to do it if it is consistent.

Ok, yeah, I think my best bet is to just find a dvd recorder that will do what it's supposed to do in the first place. I have about 30 vhs tapes (2 hrs each) that are completely full of my friends' band and the dvd's that I burnt from them are all completely out of sync, from start to finish. I read reviews on this particular recorder I have and everyone is complaining about this exact same thing and Samsung has no fix for it.