Thread: Sony Vegas not recognizing .avi files?

Default Sony Vegas not recognizing .avi files?

Hello all. I'm kind of familiar with Vegas, but I dont know what's going on. I cant drag in any type of videos because when I try to the mouse pointer turns into a crossed out red circle.

I have tried with .avi. I found on the internet that it's because Vegas doesnt recognize some .avi files because it's been converted with a codec that wont work on vegas. I used Total Video Converter to convert a flv video I got from YouTube to .avi

Anyone can give me a hand with any software to convert videos into a format I can work with on Sony Vegas?
    I'd really appreciate it. I have to finish something for next month :S Thank you.
    Last edited by Paisa; 03-17-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Go through precisely what you are doing.
    You should be adding the files to the project using File | Import Media then dragging them to the timeline.
    Exactly where are you trying to drag these? (Screenshots would be a great help)
    You're barking up the wrong tree with the formats issue - every reported problem there is to do with files being added successfully to the timeline bit not displaying correctly.
    What version of Vegas? (As requested at the top of the forum) And is it a licenced/trial or warez copy?
    Tim

It's vegas 7. As I said, it doesnt matter if I drag them directly from a folder or if I import them though file-import media.

I read around that this happens when the video has a mix of codecs. Like I got if as flv from YT. Then I converted to .mp4, then to .avi. Vegas seems to not recognize some of the codecs so this is happening. I guess I'm good to go tho, because it accepts the videos directly as they come from my camera. And it's warez copy. Why?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paisa View Post
    And it's warez copy. Why?
    Coz you deserve what you get.
    Tim

Lol like it had anything to do with it anyway. Thanks for the help. I solved it.