Thread: Help with Audio Techniques In Crowded Areas

Default Help with Audio Techniques In Crowded Areas

I apologize in advance if this has been covered already or too "newbie" but I was hoping to get some advice on how to best capture video interviews in crowded/noisy areas.

I have the following equipment:

Canon XHA1
    Canon Vixia HV30
    2 - Sennhesier Wireless G2 Set (Sennheiser USA - ew112PG2 - Product Details)
    Wireless Sennheiser Handheld Mic

My first time around I learned the hard way just thinking that by using the equipment above, it would potentially block out the crowd noise and/or isolate on the speakers. Of course, it did not.

Can anyone provide any tips or point me in the right direction as to what settings or steps I need to take so that can interview people in areas where there is crowd noise so that I can block that out or isolate on the speaker more?

Any help is much appreciated.

San Diego, Ca, USA

First we need to know what the area is like and what you want to record?

manual volume gain - lapel microphone as close as possible to the mouth - turn down volume.

thats all you can really do other than go to a quiet place.

Blog Entries

You've certainly got the right equipment, so the fault must be how you're using it. (No criticism implied)

If you've got the Sennheiser mic which comes with the G2 kit then you need to get in close. The mic is essentialy a vocal mic with a transmitter built in. It needs to be about six inches (definately no more than a foot) away from the speaker's mouth. At this distance the speaker will be giving you a decent level and any ambient sound (unless you're somewhere REALLY noisy) will be way down low and not a problem.

What's often done in your circumstances is... The presenter (reporter) has a G2 lapel mic on Ch1. The radio hand-mic goes on ch2. that way the reporter can get the hand-mic in close and keep it there. ie: He doesn't have to move it to get his own questions.

The bottom line... Get in close. You don't need any extra equipment, what you've got is ideal.