Thread: Capture Drive file sorting....

Default Capture Drive file sorting....

Hey, I am fairly new to video editing but I already have a large collection of .avi files recorded on a consumer level Standard Definition sony handy cam...

I would like to split the capture hard drive into folders but will this effect future capturing or even the speed that my software (Corel Video Studio X2 Pro) will access the files?

I'm running a low spec PC With 2GB RAM, 3.06Ghz Intel Celeron D Proccessor with 533Mhz front side bus....

Help much appreciated!

Cheers
    Dave

Blog Entries

Hi Dave,

Organising your capture drive into folders is almost essential in preventing you going insane, as you are finding.

This will have no effect on either future capturing or speed.

The only effect this may have on your software is that it may have a limit on how long a path name it may accept or how many levels of folder it will accept. But unless you're a reall nut with subfolders you're unlikely to hit this limit.

The most important thing you can do is make sure you have plenty of space space and regularly defragment your capture hard disk.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hi Dave,

Organising your capture drive into folders is almost essential in preventing you going insane, as you are finding.

This will have no effect on either future capturing or speed.

The only effect this may have on your software is that it may have a limit on how long a path name it may accept or how many levels of folder it will accept. But unless you're a reall nut with subfolders you're unlikely to hit this limit.

The most important thing you can do is make sure you have plenty of space space and regularly defragment your capture hard disk.
    Hey Tim, I have a question.. When I was only doing Still photography I used a program called ACDsee (I still use it) Its a central cataloging program.. allowing you to see all photos.. rate them, put them into catagories etc.. without actualy moving any thing.. Do you know of a program for video.. all I found was online storage..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Default Capture Drive File sorting

Wil, trythis sw Media Catalog Studio,
    Last edited by 377sps; 03-16-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply....
    Yeah space maybe a problem soon my current capture drive is only 160GB I must have around 8 hours of footage....so I've ruffly got about 4 hours left...

Cheers Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Hey Tim, I have a question.. When I was only doing Still photography I used a program called ACDsee (I still use it) Its a central cataloging program.. allowing you to see all photos.. rate them, put them into catagories etc.. without actualy moving any thing.. Do you know of a program for video.. all I found was online storage..
    ACDSee is a great program - I used a freebie version for a while.

But you use Vegas. You already have the facility - it's called Media Manager.
    Tim