Thread: Masks not in right place when rending to mpg or wmv

Default Masks not in right place when rending to mpg or wmv

So I'm making a light saber video in which i mask mediagenerator to create a light saber effect. I shot the video on canon hv30 in 24p format. When I go to render to either mpg of wmv the mask is shifter "not in sync with my original video" When I choose Avi or mp4 this problem does not happen. Anyone know why my mask seems to be in different position when I render to differnt formats. When I play it back it on the timeline it looks right, the problem only happens when i go to render In 24 p format.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer76 View Post
    I shot the video on canon hv30 in 24p format.
    - That SHOULD mean "no fields". OK . . . . .

When I go to render to either mpg of wmv the mask is shifter "not in sync with my original video"
    Well, this WOULD indicate that fields OR syncing is NOW an issue . . moving on . . .

When I choose Avi or mp4 this problem does not happen.
    Now THAT is very interesting. AVI and MP4 is fine? Yes? OK, what AVI template are you rendering to?

Anyone know why my mask seems to be in different position when I render to differnt formats.
    OK . . what you are looking at, is a stage away from rendering, then I would guess that there is a mismatch within the Preview and then to the Render.

A test and a question:-

A] TEST: Try rendering to MPEG FROM the rendered AVI to see if that "kills" the mismatch. If you are rendering directly to MPG from the Timeline then maybe the template is attempting to conform with your request, by making the best match. Much maths is going on. MPG works by assuming that there are places in the FRAME where the action is not moving and so aggregates those pixels and keeps them to one side. It could be that the syncing is a result of the rendering attempting to do this over a section that is requiring more maths to be done, and what YOU are seeing is an averaging-out. So, rendering a previously created AVI may just well help. It does sound as if you have a field issue creeping in.

B] QUESTION: As a result of the above, need to know what are your Project settings? Have you matched the Project TO the media - just a thought . . .

Ok i figured it out. I did all my masking in 4:3 aspect ratio, and when I go to encode in 16:9 it gets shifted/. Anyone know a way to maintin the mask placement while switching aspect ratios? or do i have to mask all over again?

I would render the project as an AVI and then convert the finished AVI to MPG or WMV.
    But I'm in love with big uncompressed files.