Thread: Is Maya what I'm after?

Default Is Maya what I'm after?

Hi guys. Anyone use Maya at all?

My next production I'm planning calls for a couple of extra special FX

I want a plane to fly overhead and see the exhaust trail behind it change to smoke. Now I can do the change in Particle Illusion and that is not the problem. It's the plane that is the issue. It need to fly along a specific path and so I think it will need to be a cheap CGI plane (it only needs to be very small after all).

I've heard of Maya as a 3D app and there is a freebie version for non profit making. My worry is that it is a serious piece of s/w, presumably with alarge learning curve given that each subject within the tool seems to deserve it;s own book on the subject.

So, onto my question, I don't need to do any modelling (presuming I can find a plane model to download somewhere) so assuming I have a model of a plane can I pick up the app and animate the plane across the screen quite easily or will it take a fortnight's hard graft?

My worry here is that unlike other apps I have where I can buy a book and get reading it appears that there is no single book for Maya and I donlt really want a learning curve of some 3000 pages just to open a plane model and animate it from point A to point B across the screen in 40 frames.

Any advice or single book recommendations welcome.

Can't After Effects do this? Discrete's combustion has an advanced Paint Operator/Layer which allows path plotting, animation (using various techniques like onion-skinning) and general manipulation of CG graphics in 2D and 3D space.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

But using Afetr Effects would only be 2D. I was thinking of a true 3D model and not the pseudo 3d of AE.

I was thinking of Maya because I noticed you can get it for free if not using it for commercial gain. Probably a sledgehammer to crakc a nut though.

For the shot I'm envisaging I can get away with a small 2D image and just have premiere animate it across the screen with a size change to represent scale.

I still might download Maya though, for a rainy day

oh, I remember reading AE uses layers for a 3d effect. Is that what you are referring to?

Well, you could download the 30 day trial of Combustion (true 3D manipulation with Z-space). I thought Maya was only a 3D graphics program like 3D Studio Max?
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Nah, don't want a 30 trial of Combustion. I might like it and then it will run out.

I've downloaded Maya6 now and will have a play when time allows.

But as I say, I think the sequence I have in mind (and it's not even reached the drawing board stage yet) I'll be able to do in 2D. especially when most of it will be covered by a vapour trail created in Particle Illusion.

Where did u get ur copy of maya i cant find one for free other then a trial