Thread: My new blog with Microstock sites comparision for footage.

Default My new blog with Microstock sites comparision for footage.

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right forum area, but I'm sure the administrators will let me know if there is a problem.

I started a blog for those of you microstock footage people that does monthly comparisons of the different sites and other information.

SnapRender

SnapRender

If you look on the side bar, there are 'Monthly Footage Stats' for January and February.

I would love to hear any suggestions or comments.
    Last edited by Snaprender; 03-16-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Nice Blog, I have seen people having blogs about comparison on stock pictures but nothing yet about stock footage. I see a great opportunity in what you are doing.

Having said that I have my two cents:

- You mentioned that 300MB-400MB cap for a video is too small. You even mentioned 500MB (about clipdealer) is still not enough. I have to disagree... You can have a HD image for up to a minute (which BTW is too long for the stock footage industry) to "weight" less than 400MB. That is of course considering that the industry standard is Quicktime Photo-JPG compressed between 75% to 90% max... This compression is well used and it is not visible to the naked eye.

- Just in case you didn't knew, there are other sites that belong to the microstock group: clipcanvas, stockxpert, motiondrops, and a few others... less pro such as pixelflow or footagefirm.

Nice to know fotolia is in the move to accept video, I would look into that, they seem solid. I haven't try clipdealer, somehow I feel them weak, pale, I don't know, it is just a feeling....

BTW which other photo site is accepting videos?

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I actually really like Clipdealer and have already had my first sale on there - woo hoo!

As for the 500mb limit, I know some videographers prefer a 1g - All of mine are under the 500mb, so I actually have no problem with that limit. The 300mb on Fotolia is the ones that is extremely limiting for me (espcially since it seems to be even less than that).

I was on Stockxpert at one point, but left. I've looked into motiondrops, but got the same feeling you have about Clipdealer....havent heard of Clipcanvas though.

The other photo sites that sell video are: Shutterstock and IStock.

Thanks,
    Snaprender

Congrats on your sales! Isn't it nice to make some passive income? Some friends here argue that, you know, because of the quality of the microstock videos, but everything has a market...

What happened with Stockxpert? They look good I was going to take a look at it...
    I'll take a second look at clipdealer. I like motiondrops in many ways, but that's just me.

So, what are your plans with your blog? It would be a nice place for stock houses to advertise, of course, assuming you don't say damaging things about them :P

Actually, you probably can make more money out of that than selling videos, who knows.

Good luck!

Snap,
    Great project with your blog.
    I didn't have time to read today but I will revisit.
    Keep blogging!
    Rick
    Prod/Editor
    www.editinglinks.com

I dont expect any of the stock houses to want to advertise on my blog (being that most of them consider their referral links as just that), but I might look into sponsors in the future some time. Right now it's just more something I enjoy doing and I have got such a wonderful response, that I'm going to just keep on doing it. I have searched for someone who was doing a microstock video blog for over a year, and have come up empty handed - so then last month I was like 'to hell with it, I'll just make my own' - hahaha.

Did you think the post about Fotolia was damaging? If you think so, I will try to revise certain parts. I was aiming more for honest vs damaging.

As for Stockxpert....ugh - just go read all the problems on their forums. Mine was more on the photo side when they tried a very sneaky tactic of giving away the extended licenses for free on photos.com at a subscription price. I made the decision that it wasn't somewhere I wanted to be affiliated with any longer and pulled all my videos and photos. I look at their forums every once in a while and am like - whew.
    They also recently got bought out by Getty - so it's kinda up in the air whats even going to happen with them since Getty already owns IStock.

Snaprender

It was just a generalization. It may have the potential to do so. Here is one example of what I meant to say: and example of what you do but in the stock photography industry, you will see that some stock houses do advertise there.

MicrostockGroup.com

I dont think your comment was damaging, I was again making generalizations.

I don't like sneaky stuff either. I'm however interested in knowing more about Getty getting Stockxpert....are you sure? I thought it was part of Jupiter Media, another big co.... If this is so, now I see why there are many stock houses out there...

Oh yes, Getty bought most of Jupiterimage (I think it was around 90%). They paid $96 million for it.

Getty Images Acquires Jupiter Media’s Images Unit for $96 million | Startup Wire

https://secure.nielsenbusinessmedia....3a54b3fadcd145

The deal was sealed sometime this month.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I'm still in shock. I smell monopoly...

Hey,

I got March 2009 stats posted if you guys want to take a peak:

SnapRender

Thanks,

Snaprender