Thread: Field dominance

Default Field dominance

Iím increasingly getting sent video as Mov files over ftp but have no way of knowing what the field dominance is when I import it into Avid. Is there a utility out there that can tell me?
    GSpot seems to be the one everyone raves about but this doesnít seem to support Mov files.

This isn't the most helpful answer but it's better than nothing - I know that in After Effects if you open a file it tells you what codec it was encoded with. You can download a free 30-day trial of After Effects easily enough.

I'm sure there will be a better solution than this but at least that would tide you over in the meantime.

Just found a better solution I think...

Open the mov in Quicktime player and go to Window -> Show Movie Inspector - the Movie Inspector then tells you what codec was used. And I'm pretty definite that the Apple DV codec is lower field dominant and all other DV codecs are upper field dominant. You may need to do a little more research into that yourself though or maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong