Thread: Day 3 of Creation

Default Day 3 of Creation

In the Bible's Creation narrative in the book of Genesis it says that the Lord God made the grass and trees appear and grow on the third day.

The problem with presenting that visually is this: According to the Bible, God did not make the sun appear until the next day. So, how could I show the new plant life from outdoor still photos (taken in sunlight) when this was said to be happening without sunlight?

Possible solution: Since there was supposed to be some form of "light" at this time (See Genesis 1:3), I used the Vegas bump map effect with spotlight in the upper left hand corner to create a form of digital impressionism to visually depict this. I also added a luma key of moving golden light beams to further enhance the effect. Please let me know if this works for the presentation. I would also be receptive to hearing alternative suggestions. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2huIwcmYfoY]YouTube - Day 3 of Creation[/ame]

(Best viewed in HD)

Very nice.. beautiful imagery.. you have an artistic eye
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    So, how could I show the new plant life from outdoor still photos (taken in sunlight) when this was said to be happening without sunlight?
    You can't. Basically God screwed up Whether one's a creationist or not it's quite clear that plants don't exist without sunlight.

And so to your problem.....Kudos to you for having the imagination to come up with what you've tried, but to my eyes, with the possible exception of 1:06-1:09, the use of bump maps makes the whole thing look rather more man-made than designed by a deity.

So, you've got light but not yet sunlight. We need to see the beauty and wonder of growing things.

To my mind, no problem conceptually (though I've no idea how we achieve this technically). What comes to my mind is one of these time-lapse shots of a seed growing into a sapling into a fully fledged plant. These sorts of shots are usually, by there very nature, in a controlled environment and thus use artificial lighting. I'm always impressed by these shots - not at the photography (though that's often the case) but at the wonder of nature (or in the context of your film - of creation/God). We are used to seeing these shots in an artificial light and probably don't even notice the souce of the light.

Setting up a shoot may be tricky, but I'm sure there must be stock footage available.

Failing that, how about an animation of the same?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    To my mind, no problem conceptually (though I've no idea how we achieve this technically). What comes to my mind is one of these time-lapse shots of a seed growing into a sapling into a fully fledged plant. These sorts of shots are usually, by there very nature, in a controlled environment and thus use artificial lighting. I'm always impressed by these shots - not at the photography (though that's often the case) but at the wonder of nature (or in the context of your film - of creation/God). We are used to seeing these shots in an artificial light and probably don't even notice the souce of the light.

Setting up a shoot may be tricky, but I'm sure there must be stock footage available.

Failing that, how about an animation of the same?
    I looked for stock footage of time-lapse shots of plants growing, but all that I found had them growing in a pot or holder. Animation? That might be a path to go down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    I looked for stock footage of time-lapse shots of plants growing, but all that I found had them growing in a pot or holder.
    I'm not sure that matters. I realise that manufactured stuff hasn't been created yet, but then as already noted, neither has sunshine. You're showing plants growing, not necessarily plants growing on the third day. I'd have thought so long as it has artificial light it would work. There again, that's how I'd read it, other viewers might immediately stand up and shout "cheat!"
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm not sure that matters. I realise that manufactured stuff hasn't been created yet, but then as already noted, neither has sunshine. You're showing plants growing, not necessarily plants growing on the third day. I'd have thought so long as it has artificial light it would work. There again, that's how I'd read it, other viewers might immediately stand up and shout "cheat!"
    That is exactly why I am concerned with getting this effect right. Thanks for the input.