Thread: Showing a route on a map

Question Showing a route on a map

Hi guys,

I'm currently editing a series of short films about my travels through Australia for a tourism website. However, I am having a hard time finding out how I can put maps that show the progress of my route (by for example a changing red line) in the film. I've read most of the posts about this subject, but I don't fully understand what people have said. Surely putting a map with a route showing in a video can't be that hard?

It depends on the software you are working with.
    Generally if the software does not have that specific feature then as a rough procedure you can make two still shot of the map.
    The first still is the map.
    The second still is the exact same map shot only with the route fully traced. You can do that in a photo editor.
    Then place the untraced map on the timeline and have it showing for a few seconds or as long as seems correct. Then place the second still on the timeline.

Now comes the "rough" part! Play around with the available "wipe" transitions until you can get one that goes in the right direction and at the right speed. Insert it in between the two clips on the timeline.

Becasue the two map images are identical except for the line the transition will only show the line appearing and the map stays the same.

Nelson, New Zealand

In Video Studio Pro X2 there is a painting creating function that allows you to make a superimposed line move over a map, I've only had a quick play with it myself but it might be what you are looking for.