Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16mm Film to Digital Conversion?

Blog Entries

Default 16mm Film to Digital Conversion?

A bit of a long shot, but on behalf of someone I've agreed to ask if anyone knows of a TRUSTWORTHY company / individual that can do this. We need someone who preferably has been used by someone here and can vouch for their integrity.

Many thanks.

EDIT - Preferably London based. Cheers.

Hi Andy - Don't think there's many about, but these guys seem to know their onions. Never used them, but would if I had the need.
    Cine film types
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Hi,
    I can offer frame accurate 16mm telecine transfer to whatever digital format you may require. I admit I'm not in London, but if you are interested I'd be pleased to quote. I've just transferred an early home movie shot by Bob Monkhouse for his daughter.
    Cheers, Harley

Hi Harley - Great pedigree! Nice to know of others who carry out high quality conversions.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cinecymru View Post
    Hi,
    I can offer frame accurate 16mm telecine transfer to whatever digital format you may require. I admit I'm not in London, but if you are interested I'd be pleased to quote. I've just transferred an early home movie shot by Bob Monkhouse for his daughter.
    Cheers, Harley
    Cheers guys...

Harley - I've been told there's 2000ft... rough guestimate?

Providing the footage is in good transferrable condition (without needing repairs/resplicing) and is positive footage (not original negative) the cost to DVD would be 160.00 plus VAT plus carriage.
    Thanks,
    Harley

Harley and Andy,

I just wanted to say i really appreciated the 'heads up' on this one.

However (more fool me), I went to this arrogant vendor who discovered that there was 3600ft of film, much to my surprise..!! Money was never an option though I did expect the vendor to get back to me on the day they promised, to discuss what they had found, but they did not. I called (getting only voicemail), and then waited before I emailed to try and some discussion, as arranged. Unfortunately they chose to please themselves and then get back to me outside of normal office hours (a sunday evening would you!?). They left me a 'please themselves' type message stating they had looked at film on the day they promised to get back, had upped the cost quite vigorously as a result, and then even demanded immediate payment in advance before the work was even completed, an weren't available for comment or discussion until the next day.

Having phoned them to say this behaviour was irregular or even 'out of order' to assume anything before discusing, this vendor not only yelled at me on the phone and implied that I had some kind of attitude problem, but also was of the opinion that I could not be trusted because I had not yet given a return address for the work (when no decision had been made as to where the fooatge was going). As if I would 100's of 's of footage just siitng there for ths sake of an address...it moranic comment, as I am sure you guys can see for yourselves. However, this vendor had then the extraordinary front to imply that I was the person with an attitude problem, just because I calmly pulled them up about it. All this time the vendor had my telephone number and refused to phone, me hiding behind their email address as it suited them.

It was a shame, but I could only conclude from the situation that this vendor has been so spoilt by either his opinion of himself, or by his reputation from others over the years, that they felt it was perfectly reasonable to treat me so poorly. Some people beggar belief, huh guys!?

Amazing really what one finds in the valleys these days, but maybe it was the loss to the Irish in the Rugby that did it?....But that said, I know that neither of you gentleman would ever dream of treating anyone like that. Wish I had taken the kind option given to me here now.

Thanks to you both for you time and effort anyway. Much appreciated!

Nathan
    Last edited by Landers; 03-30-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Blog Entries

' TRUSTWORTHY ' you say Andy - is it pron - on 16mm - must be purist film geek pron. lols.

Blog Entries

Nathans experience saddens me enormously. One tries ones best though. Mark - the footage was more rare than anything. Kinda feel responsible.

A real shame, he deserves naming.
    Mr angry's probably narked because his business is failing.
    Self fulfilling with his attitude though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast