Thread: HD videos crystal clear, BUT frame jumps ??? on SX1 IS

1. Default HD videos crystal clear, BUT frame jumps ??? on SX1 IS

Hi all,

I opened a thread for this below, but someone said I should open one here.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=657502

Just used my new SX1 IS, no complaints on the still shots at all. However when I played back the videos, they were crystal clear, BUT, when I was moving the camera, and zooming in and out there were sort of frame jumps on playback, these were very small, but they should not be there, its like moving the camera and suddenly stopping, and moving again and so on,

The playback is fine on playback on camera and TV.

I am on Microsoft Internet Explorer.

As I have in total 1536 RAM, and 121GB free on the hard drive zoom browser is on, which is drive D, But not sure if my comp can handle any more memory.

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600) Packard Bell NEC Packard Bell Computer PB35200401
    System Serial Number: 048079220081
    Chassis Serial Number: 50424E
    Enclosure Type: Desktop
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA-8I945PM
    Bus Clock: 214 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 10w 08/02/2005
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    493.66 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    345.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B [CD-ROM drive]
    LG DVD-RAM DAD8020B [CD-ROM drive]

EPSON Stylus Storage USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
    ST3250823AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 1
    ST3250823AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0 1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
    Slot 'A2' is Empty
    Slot 'A3' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 243.60 GB 215.28 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 1) 250.06 GB 129.95 GB freeATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series [Display adapter]
    ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series Secondary [Display adapter]
    Packard Bell PBN PNP A520 [Monitor] (14.1"vis, s/n TGMN93313199, August 1999)
    thought that would be enough to run an engine.

Any advice would be great.

I only just this minute remember me trying to play a DVD that had the same frame jumps in it, at the time I did not have a clue why they were there, now I know it must have been an HD DVD.

Is there not any software out for this

Wayne

"The playback is fine on playback on camera and TV." So I take it you are having the problem with playback on computer? Even after reading that quite detailed breakdown of your computer setup I am still not certain as to what software you are using to playback your videos with. It sounds like the file format from your camera is some variety that your software cannot playback correctly. What is the file type?

Blog Entries

Er - thats a still camera.

You cant seroiusly expect it to take good video.

My microwave takes poor video too.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    "The playback is fine on playback on camera and TV." So I take it you are having the problem with playback on computer? Even after reading that quite detailed breakdown of your computer setup I am still not certain as to what software you are using to playback your videos with. It sounds like the file format from your camera is some variety that your software cannot playback correctly. What is the file type?

Itís called zoombrower from Canon, however it will not play on things like Windows Media Player, and itís in slow motion on that one.

Canon says that HD films will play on at least a minimum of 2.6 processor, but mine is higher, but then someone said that my processor speed would be down, as of all the things that are running, internet, anti virus and so on, but still thought that the HD films would run.

Any suggestions please.

Wayne

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Er - thats a still camera.

You cant seroiusly expect it to take good video.

My microwave takes poor video too.

Yep itís a still camera, but 10.0mp and takes videos in HD film. There is nothing wrong at all with the video quality; itís just the small frame jumps that seem to be from my comp.

Wayne

Mark W, where can I get one of those microwaves?

Blog Entries

Yea well - get a video cam if you want to take movies.

The compression and video stream produced by stills cameras is usually uses some propietry mangled codec and problems are common.

Your stills camera will not be producing decent video - it's a stills camera. If you want to make movies you should get a video camera - oh i think I said that.

8. Default

Yea well - get a video cam if you want to take movies.

The compression and video stream produced by stills cameras is usually uses some propietry mangled codec and problems are common.

Your stills camera will not be producing decent video - it's a stills camera. If you want to make movies you should get a video camera - oh i think I said that.
    Yes your right Mark, but all I want to is to get these frame jumes off. Are you useing HD video, and if so, what is your comps specs please ???

Here is a still camera video, itís the EOS 5D Mark II,

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326

However thatís not my camera, here is mine.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091703canon_sx1is_sx10is.asp

I was going to ask, what is the best video camera for under a £1000 ???

Wayne

Blog Entries

No such thing as ' best' - just what people say is best.

You get what you pay for and for a grand there are many great cams but it all depnds on pers pref and what your expectaions are.

Best for me is a s/h pro dv camera cos i like pro gear.

Ignore magazine tests and sales people - it's all lies.

Check out what people use here and ALWAYS try befor you buy. Assuming you plan to use it more than once a year the feel of a camera is important.

I would advise you to go tape - best quality for price and easiest to edit. - others may diasgree.

I'll disagree on the tape but not on the cameras, I came to the conclusion the video off still cameras is only aimed at computer viewing, with it's progressive video, were as you get interlaced on a proper video camera, maybe it will improve when they do 50P but then you will really need some grunty computers to get the best out of it, I find the best video player for HD is the Pixela Image Mixer 3se player, it does MTS files and would give you very clean playback on your spec computer if it could handle your video that is.