Thread: Plot tips for clip

Default Plot tips for video wanted

Hello,

I have this problem now that i'm trying to get over - i'm doing a clip (video about photosession n' so, if somebody is interested in that). And i'm seeking for advices how to make video dynamical and interesting with something like plot under it. I'm bad at this language, so i'll try explain what i mean by plot here. What i want, is to understand the philosophy..how do you call these small parts of video? clips? alright, you understood, i hope..so i' m trying to understand the philosophy of how to get it in right order, what may be first, what may be last. There is no need to stick with chronology. And then i was wondering of how to use color for making it more dynamical and how color interacts (..again i dont know the right word) with plot and so. I have experience in video making, but i'm at the point when i'm thrown in like professional motage and i have to entertain and make viewer interested in every way possible.

Any web-literature appreciated and BIG thanks for any help that may lead to succes!

Sorry for misspelings and all that.

Kaspars

THANKS
    Last edited by kaspars; 03-11-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Blog Entries

I think you're asking for too much help. Editing is a bit of a dark art, there are no rules, just a set of conventions. The golden guide is "If it looks right, it is right. If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Since you're not sticking to chronology, you have thrown the rule book out of the window. It is a difficult task to get right but I don't think anyone can tell you how to do it. You have to "feel" it. Like a work of art. It's right when you feel that it's right.

I wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    I think you're asking for too much help. Editing is a bit of a dark art, there are no rules, just a set of conventions. The golden guide is "If it looks right, it is right. If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Since you're not sticking to chronology, you have thrown the rule book out of the window. It is a difficult task to get right but I don't think anyone can tell you how to do it. You have to "feel" it. Like a work of art. It's right when you feel that it's right.

I wish you luck.

Hey, thanks!
    I had feel of this dark art, but when you're exhausted and this cloud of dark smoke and flying midgets with sparkle tails (muses) has left for a while..you start looking for some tips. Okay then, I think I'll make it good. Just need to take a while and think.

Quote Originally Posted by kaspars View Post
    Hey, thanks!
    I had feel of this dark art, but when you're exhausted and this cloud of dark smoke and flying midgets with sparkle tails (muses) has left for a while..you start looking for some tips. Okay then, I think I'll make it good. Just need to take a while and think.
    Sometimes thats all you can do. just step away and look at it with fresh eyes...
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

You sound like you've got the right mental attitude. There are many so-called experts who will tell you how to edit but you're the one who has the final decision.

I would experiment a bit, try things out. The joy of video editing is that if you get things wrong... no problem, you just start again. I have seen professional editors look at a scene, say "f*ck it", delete the whole thing and start from scratch with a clear mind.

I hope you find your muse.

Blog Entries

My cat is my muse I think.

There are a very few rights and wrongs with editing and these are often transcended by the ' right ' that you feel when you are working. Run with that every time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    You sound like you've got the right mental attitude. There are many so-called experts who will tell you how to edit but you're the one who has the final decision.

I would experiment a bit, try things out. The joy of video editing is that if you get things wrong... no problem, you just start again. I have seen professional editors look at a scene, say "f*ck it", delete the whole thing and start from scratch with a clear mind.

I hope you find your muse.
    Oh, i'm so pro-ish - i do like that often. I have this thought some times:'Oh no, thats going like nowhere'. I delete. I start over. And you sayed it clearly - mind becomes a blanc and you can start again. Haha, mindblowing a bit to chat with fellas who know these things.
    I'm very thankful for your replies, Guru.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    My cat is my muse I think.

There are a very few rights and wrongs with editing and these are often transcended by the ' right ' that you feel when you are working. Run with that every time.
    Pity i don't have one. I'm still trying to obtain my inner muse. But..I could borrow a cat from my friend, he'd be clad to relax a bit from that crazy 4-footed roflinator.
    Last edited by kaspars; 03-14-2009 at 07:13 PM.