Thread: OK everyone, please rate my setup!! It starts with a new Dell quad core.

Default OK everyone, please rate my setup!! It starts with a new Dell quad core.

I'm new to this forum and rather new to video editing, but I've purchased what I think is some cool stuff and learned the basics. How did I do?

Dell XPS 420 quad core computer with two 750 Gb hard drives, two firewire ports, and 4 gig of memory, multiple flash card drive, and a TV tuner card that comes with this input thingy called an XCELERATOR that has composite and S-video inputs in front of the machine. Only one piece of software -- made by Roxio -- on the machine can "see" this device, and it sporadically causes huge distortion when I try to import through this thing (like everything is looking great for a while, and then it goes all horizontal and slanty, and then comes back, and it's not the tape). It also has Windows Movie Maker that can see the firewire ports and control firewire enabled camcorders through them.

Canopus AVDC 500 audio video digital conversion box that allows any analogue device to be plugged into one end and it sends the output out on a firewire cable to the computer. This is good for playing VHS tapes into the computer. (It also works the other way, it will convert digital to analogue so that a digital video file could be played out onto a VCR. Not much use for that at the moment. Maybe good for archiving later.)

Edius Neo nonlinear video editing software.

Sony Digital8 camcorder that reads video8, hi8, or Digital8 and exports it to the computer over a firewire cable. This works well.

So folks, what should I buy next?

The hardware looks nice - what version of windows are you using? If it's a 32 bit version, you'll probably find that Windows won't see the full 4GB on your system.

I've not heard anything about Edius Neo (it sounds like a disease) but I recommend you look at trial versions of other software by Adobe and Sony.

Oh, and of course - an external backup drive! Always, always a backup drive! (although you could backup from one internal drive to another I suppose)

Default Thanks for your input.

Hey Mike,

You're right, I have the 32 bit version of Windows Vista. I looked in Task Manager and it says 3gb of physical memory. So, maybe that's all I've got on board and I was mistaken about the 4 I quoted.

And I did not mention that I have several external hard drives. One is an Acomdata 1Tb eSata that I use for temporary backup of projects in progress. I also have two LaCie "rugged" hard drives that I use to back up personal video projects.

Edius Neo is a nonlinear video editing software package. Just Google Edius and you'll find their site and you'll be able to look at their products.

I've heard of those other packages, and am open to buying other software if it will help.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe View Post
    The hardware looks nice - what version of windows are you using? If it's a 32 bit version, you'll probably find that Windows won't see the full 4GB on your system.

I've not heard anything about Edius Neo (it sounds like a disease) but I recommend you look at trial versions of other software by Adobe and Sony.

Oh, and of course - an external backup drive! Always, always a backup drive! (although you could backup from one internal drive to another I suppose)