Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vegas 8Pro Compressions?

1. Default Sony Vegas 8Pro Compressions?

guys, anyone know about how to set the compression level for an AVI file, what i mean by that is , when i try to use the settings for NTSC DV , obviously it compresses my final AVI while rendering , then the the generated AVI becomes very compressed , then the quality goes down, but if i render the file without compression, then obviously the quality of the videos goes higher but the file size gets too big , meaning without compression is like 9.5GB and with compression is like 888MB, either too small or too big ...i was wondering if there is a way to set the compression level to a point , where the AVI file size is around 2.5GB or so...
    Thanks!!

Why do you want an AVI file? Are you trying to burn a dvd? If you are it has to be mpeg 2..
    It'll be a smaller file and you won't notice any quility loss unless its over 90 minutes..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

3. Default

well brother....after i render my project in vegas 8 then obviously the outcome is a AVI and the satellite companies want to drag and drop the file onto their time line
    i am sure they can drag and drop the avi files, but i am not sure they can drag and drop other video formats on to their timeline...any idea ???

Blog Entries

Firstly, defining the file type by saying it's an AVI file doesn't actually mean anything as far as compression goes. AVI is a container for a file which has compressed (or uncompressed) video. The manner in which it is compressed is down to the CODEC.

If you're in any doubt about this, look at a DivX file - it's an AVI.

So your compression (and the flexibility) is really down to what codec you are using.

I won't say more because my understanding is fuzzy to say the least and I do NOT want to lead you along the wrong path.

However I'm not aware that you can alter the "quality" in an avi file using the standard definition DV format (what people often mean when talking about AVI - the standard used by miniDV cameras) - it will ALWAYS compress as much as is needed to maintain a constant bit rate of 25mbps - about 13GB per hour.
    Tim

5. Default

ok, here its...
    i have a JVC u110 HD camera, i use that to shoot my music videos, after capturing all images onto my hard drive, then obviously i drag them on my vegas 8 time line, fix the color , add effects and do all my corrections, then once i am done with all, then at the end i select "Render As" and as you know its gives many option to how you wanna render!! i believe default setting for quality is set to "good" which i normally change that to "best" and then start rendering ....
    i just finished using mpeg for output file and the size is 123MB...
    very confusing!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KISHOREDA View Post
    then at the end i select "Render As" and as you know its gives many option to how you wanna render!!
    True, but none of the avi options will give you the sort of file size you're talking about. Can you ask the guys what format their files are - what codec they're using?
    Tim

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    True, but none of the avi options will give you the sort of file size you're talking about. Can you ask the guys what format their files are - what codec they're using?
    thanks, yeah he told me we can use either quick time format (.MOV) or video for windows(AVI) ...
    anything else , they have to convert it back to AVI
    i sent him a 20 second commercial for the music video , but when i rendered it with NO compression and saved it as an AVI file format , then the quality was very good, exactly what i wanted , the size for that 20 sec commercial was 223MB...
    soon i will post you the image of my settings using vegas 8 pro.
    thanks.

8. Default

here are the images from the pages, which shows my settings

well brother....after i render my project in vegas 8 then obviously the outcome is a AVI
    - No, it can be whatever Vegas can offer. As you realise you can render to MPEG - so that is at least another format. So I don't understand your statement. You have to mean something else?

. . . and the satellite companies want to drag and drop the file onto their time line
    Why? Are you saying this "satellite" company, that you have in mind, has asked you for a format that they can then further edit? Have they specifically asked you for that?

i am sure they can drag and drop the avi files, but i am not sure they can drag and drop other video formats on to their timeline...any idea ???
    Well, why not ask them? I don;t see the problem? Is it that this company wants to re-edit your work? If so, you may need to send a file format that IS big and IS without severe compression. Is this your issue? Is it is that they want to create further compression of your work, for their purposes of distribution? Ask them out right what it is they want.

When I have sent my work to a cable company I send them the format THEY want. And as an assistance to them I have sent to same company MPEG2, WMV ( encoded under WinEnc) and for drafting purposes I have also sent DivX files. But and here is my point, I get "given" a specification. I sure wouldn't be doing what you are doing and second "guessing" what it is they want? That's the way of madness - really? If I have ever needed to send video footage for re-edit it has either been DV tape or a "small" AVI file dropped onto a DVD disc as DATA.

I think you need to be sure as to WHAT edit format is required - if any - and WHAT delivery format is required. Otherwise this discussion could go round and around in circles.

My advise? Get back to the satellite company and ask THEM directly and straight what format they want your work in.

Oh, and the other thing . . . it would appear you haven't set a "loop region" to render? Was this on purpose? Personally I force a loop region ( a selection) , so that Vegas will not use ALL of the timeline and ALL of what is on offer - I may have "rubbish" somewhere on some track somewhere down the timeline, that I am NOT aware of and I do NOT want to include in a render.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast