Thread: Cheap Action Camcorder

Default Cheap Action Camcorder

Whats the best camcorder for filming festivals, extreme sports, holidays, ive only got £200 to spend...... just some advice would be great.
    Also a wideangle (fish eye) lens to get more picture in frame would be sweet, ive looked on youtube and they seem to have the corners cut out is that normal?
    There are some lens on ebay for like £20, but whether there any good i dont know.

Blog Entries

All cheap lenses are very likely to have dark coraners - vingnetting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vignetting

For 200 quid check out used dv cameras on e bay - that is the best thing for the money - also new dv cameras can be had for less than that if you want new.

Thanks, ive been looking at various cams and this one seems to be very good for the price;
    dabs.com - Panasonic SDR-S26 SD Camcorder - Black (SDR-S26EB-K)

Its a Panasonic SDR S26, the type that take an sd card, comes with a free 12gb as the deal for £199.
    Am i right that DV is tapes?, i would imagine that sd cards would be more convenient.
    The only thing i carnt seem to find is whether its got a thread on the lens?
    Last edited by SLAUGHTER; 03-10-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries

An sd camera is nowhere near as good as a dv tape based camera at similar prices.

If subject to shock, isn't DV tape prone to skipping frames or anything? I wouldn't really think DV is the format of choice for extreme sports, because it has moving parts.

Like Hard Drive camcorders, they wouldnt survive much abuse, just when you see fotage on youtube of sd camcorders and cheap dv ones they seem fairly simualar.
    That Panasonic SDR S26 records in MPEG2 16:9 which is dvd quality right?, i would of thought if you wanted better quality you would have to be looking at HD camcorders.

Blog Entries

Its your money - why did you ask if you had made your mind up???

I mean after all what do I know - I have only used just about every sort of consumer format out there -

Blog Entries

But seriously folks - if by ' extreme ' you mean strapping cameras to base jumpers - go for a el cheapo sd card thing - some are tiny and v light and indestructable and produce adequate results for £100.

The video quality is of far less import for rare action packed video and you will likely break the camera so cheap is better.

Personally I just gaffa tape my small old cxheap dv camera to my head / motorbike / space shuttle - done lots of times - and no DV is NOT motion snesative.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark W; 03-10-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Yea i understand what you mean, i found a JVC gr D824 mini dv second hand like new for £100, and tapes are easy to buy and work out cheaper then sd cards.
    Thanks for the advice.