Thread: Please Help! Old family films - old Projector

Default Please Help! Old family films - old Projector

Let me first thank everyone who participates in these forums. They have been so incredibly helpful to me.

Last weekend I had the unenviable job of cleaning through my Grandparents home. I found a box labeled “Films from Rocky River”.
    They are very old films of my father, Grandparents and family. I soon found this beautiful projector.
    http://www.agassiztrading.com/cameras-film/projectors/16mm-projectors/filmo-16mm-master.htm
    I believe it is a Bell & Howell Filmo “Master” 16mm Film Projector.
    I have no idea how to use it, or even if I can, and I suspect these films fit into this projector somehow.
    I apologize; I can offer no more information about the projector other than this photo. I did not have time to jot down notes; I just snapped this photo and kept moving. The projector is a 3 hr drive from me…
    I am worried that I will break the projector or ruin film in the attempt.
    Does anybody know who/where I can go to learn more about this projector, how to use it? I plan on recording the projection into a digital format and editing it into a film as a surprise for my Dad.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    - Andrew

Default Edited to my post

Sorry, I did not take this picture. I tried to attach my original photo off my desktop, but couldn't, instead I found an online photo of it and attached into my thread. Sorry about that!

Hi - gonna be a little gold mine when you do run it.
    All projectors work on the same principle.
    The film sits on a cogged wheel and is driven past a lamp at variable speeds. One reel feeds in and one collects.
    A google search should bring up enthusiasts and specific operating procedures if you get stuck.
    Just switch it on and make sure it's electrically safe first though
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Actually that's a very good point! I once nearly blew myself up on an old projector I found in a cupboard. The body was made of metal and unknown to me, when you turned it on the whole body became electrified! Thank goodness when I went to pick it up my hand blew away from it rather than clasping round it. So yeah just be a bit careful when you first turn it on.

Blog Entries

What a great find. That projector looks cool - and the old films - priceless. Will our modern media last so long I wonder ?

The last 16mm film I watched was on Sky. The Third Reich in colour.
    The colours are so crisp, the film looked like it was shot yesterday.
    I have a few reels of super8 which also plays out great quality.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club