Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my playback jerky??! Help needed

Default Why is my playback jerky??! Help needed

Hello everyone,

I am filming with a canon XM2. I am using Magix movie pro 2005. I have used this software with an old sony camcorder (cheap one) before I had my XM2 and got really good results. However, I am now having problems when I convert clips into slow motion. I get jerky playback.

Why might this be? Is there an optimal slow motion speed I should use? (I am trying to slow down to about 0.60). When I view the slow motion footage on the PC monitor it does not look jerky, but once burned to DVD then it becomes jerky.

I am at my witts end with this and desperate for any suggestions that might help. I have tried re-importing clips and re-editing them into slow motion (about 7 hours work), only to burn and get the same jerky results.

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advince from a usual very patient but currentlyv very frustrated video editor.

Hi caline.
    Both of those camcorders are recording in dv.avi so there is no difference in your original files. That should exclude the footage as being the problem unless you have converted to another file format when you captured. If so don't do that! Capture as dv.avi as it is much easier for the computer and software to handle.

If you did not change the file format then you have to start looking at the computer or computer resources as the culprit.

If it worked before and doesn't now see if there is anything you have installed on the computer that could possibly interfer with the editing software.

Make sure you fully defrag the hard drive/s after capture and before rendering to burn the DVD.

Shut down all unnecessary programs that may be running in the background to free up resources, screen savers, internet connections, antivirus...anything! Chgeck the services that are running and shut down any you know that are also unnecessary.

Try rendering to a DVD compliant MPEG2 file first, then authro a DVD from that instead of doing it all in one go.

Test the DVD on other players, the problem may be that the player you are using to view cannot handle the bitrate, the brand of DVD or the type of disc (=R -R etc.).

Ok that's all I can think of!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lancecarr View Post
    Try rendering to a DVD compliant MPEG2 file first, then authro a DVD from that instead of doing it all in one go.
    I would be sure how to do this but my husband might know. We defragged the PC last night so I am going to burn another dvd now, just incase thats the reason.

So, you don't think the slo-mo speed is the culprit. In the past I have just stretched the clips to what looks ok, but with this film I have right clicked into video effects then slowed all the clips to the same speed. This is the only thing I have done differently.

Thanks for you time.

Blog Entries

I dont get why the dvd is worse - odd.

Slo mo can be smoothed loads if your editor has a function called ' resample ' - in vegas this guesses the missing frames in very slwo slow mo and makes the results very smooth.

Thanks, I'll have a look, although I have not seen a resaample function as yet.

I have done 2 more copies this morning. One after defrag, still jerky, than one in 4:3 as oposed to 16:9. Still jerky.

The first burn I did of this film was NOT jerky. The only changed I've made is to make it widescreen. I filmed in widescreen with the XM2 but still had to tell the software to make it 16:9. Is this going to have any effect on the quality.

This is driving me mad to be totally honest. I'm now at a loose end as to what to try next. This film is a wedding video for a friend so I can't stop trying!

Some of the clips are a bit blurry too, almost like the clips is starting to break up slightly.

Oh no, I am getting depressed now. Any other suggestions?

Blog Entries

A fag and a nice cup of tea ??

How about drop the slo mo if it is angsting you.

TBH slo mo in wedding videos is a very obvious and unimpressive thing to use all but fleetingly.

Could it be that the new camera has more definition than the old one and maybe was videoed at say a 150th of a sec against the old video of perhaps only a 50th, this could cause the video to appear jerky. In your program what Mark refers to as "resample" might be called something else in Premiere it is called "frame blending" and is on by default, another thing that can cause your problem is field dominance, but that's usually only an issue if you play a clip in reverse.

Mark, I do like using the slo-mo in the wedding videos, and people I have done them for like it too, especially for the highlights section on the film, which is why I am perservering with this problem.

Wandering-free, thanks for the suggestion. How would I find out if this was the case?

I've just had a look at your cameras specs and see it will video in either 50i or 25p now I'm not familiar with slow mo in 25p but wonder if something like that could be causing your problem, as for field dominance it would only likely to change if you had put in a different fire-wire card like maybe a Matrox or removed one and gone to a standard fire-wire card, this can sometimes result in the fields being capture opposite to the way they were, but it might be worth checking some of your old video and seeing if it is the same as the new field wise, that is lower field first is usually considered standard, but it isn't written in stone, or if it is progressive opposed to interlaced.

IRT what wandering-free said, I don't think field dominance is actually only a problem if playing a clip in reverse. If you are supposed to be taking upper field (ie field 1) first (as is normally the case) but you instead take lower field (field 2) first, then you will always be playing a later field followed by an earlier field followed by a later field followed by an earlier field etc etc, and this can cause the picture to flicker or look jerky. Or if you import field 1 first but export field 2 first, this would also cuase problems.

First thing I ever do if I have these issues is check what field you are taking first both on import and on export. If it's DV footage and has used the Apple DV codec then it will be lower field first, and I think I'm right in saying that all other DV codecs are upper field first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast