Thread: Help me I'm Desperate!!!

Default Help me I'm Desperate!!!

I've been having a terrible time with my computer. I bought a cheap DVD burner (internal) a month or so ago, and it wouldn't work but just kept on crashing. I thought it was just down to me being stupid and buying the cheapest burner I could find.

So today I went and bought a new one (Speedy 16X DVD Writer), installed it, and am getting the same thing! The burn process begins, then everything freezes. I cross my fingers and hope it will work this time, and it doesn't.

I have legitimate copies of Sonic DVDit and Roxio, and have also tried burning with DivX and with Cheetah DVD, and always the same problem.

I've updated the drivers and firmware. I have the pin in the back set to master and this is my only drive so that is fine too.

Also the drive reads cds and DVDs perfectly fine, and Device Manager says it's functioning correctly. I am at my wit's end - can anyone throw any light on this? I just want to burn an effing DVD...

Just from the sound of it I'd guess your comp is getting to hot and shutting down.. either that or an out dated driver.. just a guess on my part tho
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Cheap PC stuff is usually not a source of errors - I always go for cheap no name band stuff.

It is odd that it reads but wont write.... Are you sure these are not errors due to rubbish discs ? Again - I do often buy dodgy cheap blank dvds and they do give more problems that proper sourced branded stuff. ( cheap consumables do seem flaky often ).

Sorry I cant really be a huge help - it does sound like some arcane pc problem that may need expert support.

I was originally using old Woolies 'Worthit' discs but when these didn't work, I went and bought TDK, and when these didn't work I went and bought Verbatim.

So yes I really am beginning to lose hope. A mate suggested reformatting but this just isn't an option.

Chapman it's deifnitely not the drivers, but the getting hot option could be worth investigating as the fan does sometimes sound like it's going into overdrive. Do you think it's worth trying with an open case? Would this help cool it down and is it safe?

Blog Entries

Temps is unlikely - but if the whole pc is freezing up - reset needed - it could be. I have a free ( I trhink) app called ' speed fan' that monitors temps - try that perhaps.

Are you setting the burn speed to the maximum amount? If you are then try reducing it from 16 to 12 or even 8 if you have that option. Does it say anything about a buffer error concerning underrun or overflow?

Have you got any other burner software on your computer, I'd always used Adaptec Easy CD Creator until I got a new burner and that came with Nero so I installed it and Easy CD bombed all the time so since then have stayed with Nero and been very careful what other burner software I install.

ipets902 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    Have you got any other burner software on your computer, I'd always used Adaptec Easy CD Creator until I got a new burner and that came with Nero so I installed it and Easy CD bombed all the time so since then have stayed with Nero and been very careful what other burner software I install.
    yeah, i totally agree with you.

Funny you should mention that - the first burning software I installed was Nero as I hadn't realised Sonic DVDit came with my Avid. Nero didn't work, and I then had a nightmare trying to uninstall it. So I've actually been paranoid that there's remnants of Nero hanging about on my system in the background messing things up.

But as I said I've tried Nero, DivX, Sonic, Roxio, Cheetah, and always the same problem at the same stage etc.

I'm sure I've been setting burn speed to maximum so will try this, and also that fan monitor suggestion, and hopefully that will get me somewhere.

I'm also in the middle of a stressful delivery at the minute (had hoped to be able to do some of the deliverables from home to spread the workload a bit but this burner issue has f**ked that plan!) so will hopefully be able to try some of these suggestions out tonight.