Thread: Recording straight to hard disk?

1. Angry Recording straight to hard disk?

Hi guys, seems like this is the place to post my current problem, I hope it hasn't been answered already in another thread.

I have been asked by a local football team to film their home games and at the end of the game provide them with 2 DVDs, one for each team.

Presumably I do not have much time to burn the DVDs off at the end of a match as the away team will want to leave, certainly not enough time to capture the whole match in real time on to a computer and then burn 2 copies. Initially it is only for the coaches of the teams to review the game with their players.

They only want a basic single camera set up on an elevated platform as this is how it has been done before.

So my question is this, Is there a standalone device that can record at decent quality live feed straight to a hard drive and then burn off a dvd? Or would I be better using a laptop? if so what software would I need?

I am picking your brains because every time I try and do a google search I come across cctv recorders of domestic DVRs, or are these the way forward?

Thanks for your time.

Doug

Blog Entries

Use a lap top.
    Most editing s ware will allow you to capture direct from camera.
    Making the dvd is the problem.

Even on a fast laptop expect about real time at best to encode the dvd.

I suggest a camera that records to dvd - then copy the cameras dvd in the laptop.

Using a laptop and some capture software would be ideal, like Mark said.

To get around the encoding problem, you could capture live feed with Virtual Dub and the FFD show encoder, configured to MPEG2. You could burn the file straight to a DVD and it should work on any DVD player.

I'm not 100% sure that it'll work (though I don't see why not) but it's definitely worth a try, seeing as it costs nothing (so long as you have the laptop already, of course).

Blog Entries

A DVD must be ' authoured ' to play in a dvd player.

I am 90% certain that even a compliant mpeg2 file will be ignored by the dvd player.

Blog Entries

Have you thought about using a stand-alone dvd recorder, or hard-drive recorder?

My Philips (old model but the current ones would probably do the same) can record from any video input. So you have your camcorder recording away on tape (as a back-up), the video out from the camcorder going into the hard-drive recorder and, at the end of the game, you burn a couple of dvds with this. It only works if you've got a static (ie tripod-mounted) camcorder, or a bloody long cable, and no edits. Oh, and you'd need a 240v power supply for the recorder.

Just a thought.

6. Default

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will probably try virtualdub first, bloody complicated prog though.

cheers