Thread: sony vegas pro 8 which option

1. Default sony vegas pro 8 which option

ok, guys i have been rendering for a while now all using the default settings from vegas pro 8

i finished one project and the size of my avi files mb888 , when i took it to a better recording studio, they asked me why my file's size is small compare to their files..
    he had a song almost 5 mins durations, just like mine, but the format of his file was quick time and it was like 2.8gb....i asked him there i selected the wrong output file system, in my case is AVI for windows player, but he didn't wanna help i guess..
    so what you think what is the best file format or setting to render your final project b4 you burn it on a DVD ?

If you burn for dvd it has to be mpeg 2..
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    If you burn for dvd it has to be mpeg 2..
    oh, so you are saying, its not the correct way to render as a AVI file ?
    what i mean by that is, when i finish a project with my sony vegas pro 8, then i render the file and obviously i render it as AVI for windows and THEN I USE A PROGRAM LIKE ADOBE ENCORE DVD to create the actual dvd ....
    so, you mean by creating an AVI file, instead of mpeg file , i dont have or generate the highest quality ?

many thanks.
    Last edited by KISHOREDA; 03-05-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Blog Entries

I think what CP is refering to is that if you render as mpeg2 in Vegas you have a lot more control over tweaks than if you render as an AVI and let Sony DVD Architect render that to mpeg2.

I don't know what flexibility Encore and other DVD authoring packages have, as I only use DVD Architect.

Whatever you use to create your final Mpeg, it's good practice to reate a finished AVI first as this will be yur highest quality archive/master copy from which you can create your DVD/iPod/YouTube versions.

So, I follow the practice learne dfrom others here of rendering an avi in Vegas. Then rendering an mpeg 2 and an ac3 from that avi, again in Vegas. Then DVD Architect has to do no rendering at all (apart from fiddly menus etc)
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think what CP is refering to is that if you render as mpeg2 in Vegas you have a lot more control over tweaks than if you render as an AVI and let Sony DVD Architect render that to mpeg2.

I don't know what flexibility Encore and other DVD authoring packages have, as I only use DVD Architect.

Whatever you use to create your final Mpeg, it's good practice to reate a finished AVI first as this will be yur highest quality archive/master copy from which you can create your DVD/iPod/YouTube versions.

So, I follow the practice learne dfrom others here of rendering an avi in Vegas. Then rendering an mpeg 2 and an ac3 from that avi, again in Vegas. Then DVD Architect has to do no rendering at all (apart from fiddly menus etc)
    ok, so i was on the right track as far as creating an AVI first then recreate a mpeg2 out of it , coz dvd making programs can work better with mpeg2 ?

one more thing that this friend of mine told me is compressions, he said he doesnt use compressions at all when rendering a video file, i am more of pro audio guy, so i know what compression does in audio, but have no idea what it does in video...any idea?

If you do the rendering in Vegas you have control like Tim says. By working in Vegas you are able to set a Varible bit rate (VBR) Meaning faster action, or more stuff going on gets a higher bitrate and things like static shots and talking heads get lower bitrates.. If you let DVDA or Encore do it everything gets the same treatmeant.. so if it has to be a bit rate of 6 everythings a 6.. I set the the max at 8 and the minimum at 2 then depending on the lenght of the video set the ave.. in this example 6.. so it would be 8,6,2 if the Video is under 60-65 minutes then a constant bitrate of 8 (CBR) is fine...
    Wil

Software Used:

7. Default

If you do the rendering in Vegas you have control like Tim says. By working in Vegas you are able to set a Varible bit rate (VBR) Meaning faster action, or more stuff going on gets a higher bitrate and things like static shots and talking heads get lower bitrates.. If you let DVDA or Encore do it everything gets the same treatmeant.. so if it has to be a bit rate of 6 everythings a 6.. I set the the max at 8 and the minimum at 2 then depending on the lenght of the video set the ave.. in this example 6.. so it would be 8,6,2 if the Video is under 60-65 minutes then a constant bitrate of 8 (CBR) is fine...
    many thanks for the info brother...

I AM GONNA COME UP WITH A TOPIC , WHICH IS GOLD TO ME, READ IT AND ADD TO IT GUYS PLEASE...
    ITS GONNA BE CALLED "BEST SETTINGS TO CREATE AN AVI FILE IN VEGAS PRO 8"

You are very welcome.. glad I could help
    Wil

Software Used:

9. Default

alright brother...
    since i am kinda new with video editing, the question i have is:
    my video is only 4.30mins long its a music video, so this time i am gonna go for mpeg2 when rendering , so what could be the best CBR or how could i know what CBR to use ?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KISHOREDA View Post
    alright brother...
    since i am kinda new with video editing, the question i have is:
    my video is only 4.30mins long its a music video, so this time i am gonna go for mpeg2 when rendering , so what could be the best CBR or how could i know what CBR to use ?
    thanks
    I stick with a max of 8m the new players can handle upto 9-9.5 but the older players cant handle it, some can but not all.. and with me I have to make sure they play on all dvd players... If you know it'll be only watched on newer players go with 9 if not then 8.. personaly you wont see much diffrence between 8 and 9.. If I can help with anything else let me know.. good luck

bit rate

min...... max rate with AC-3
    -70 .... 8.0
    75 .... 7.834
    80 .... 7.333
    85 .... 6.890
    90 .... 6.497

over 90 minutes I'd put it on 2 disc..
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 03-06-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Wil

Software Used: