Thread: Trouble Recording Live Band/Music?

Unhappy Trouble Recording Live Band/Music?

Hello,

I have a JVC Everio HDD 60GB FullHD Hybrid.

I'm having trouble recording my band's practice from ["inside the room."]
    When I record from outside the room everything's fine but the audio is seriously lacking! The audio sound great from inside the room, BUT my camera stops recording once we start playing loud enough.

I tried turning off the mic, no go!
    I tried turning off the hand stabilizer... no go!

If we are playing a low levels it doesn't seem to cut off right away, but once we get really into something it stops recording and gives me this message:

"VIDEO MANAGEMENT FILE IS BROKEN
    TO RECORD/PLAYBACK VIDEO
    RECOVERY IS REQUIRED
    RECOVER?
    [OK]"

So i click on "[OK]" and it does it's thing and a few moments later I get this message:

"RECOVERY COMPLETED"

After this message and recovering the video management file is start to record again and about 30-50 seconds into recording the video stops and the message pops up again.... AAAAH!

The first practice we had I figured the hard drive might have just freaked out or something so.... I formatted the hard drive, that didn't seem to help at all.

The camera works FINE and VERY WELL everywhere, except in our practice room! I placed it out side the window and it recorded all night long.
    Is it the vibrations from the music, a signal from a piece of equipment we have?
    WHAT'S THE DEAL? PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME!

PS. I've talked to a few people that told me they tried recording live shows and when ever the camers where to close to the equipment/stage their camera's wouldn't work as well. Is this a common problem with recording live music?

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
    Charlie

Blog Entries

I suspect the camera cannot handle the constant vibration cause by loud music. I'm staggered it copes audio wise!
    Thought: You're not placing it (very) close to speakers (strong magnets) or sources of electrical interference are you?
    Tim

I had a similar problem a few years ago. It was outdoors thought at a concert and a band was playing on stage. Luckily it was a camcorder that used tape instead of a hard disk and kept on recording. But on playback you could see these lines travelling up and down through the video, whether the sound was too loud for the mic, or I was too near the speakers and they were interfering with the inner workings of the camcorder I don't know but it certainly did have an effect on the recordings. The camcorder worked perfectly before and after the band had finished.

Your problem is most likely the bass frequencies. Remember you have a cam that is tacked on to a hard drive, that's all. So the tiny needle reading and writing to the hard drive will be getting all sorts of aggravation form the sub audible frequencies of the bass.

Red face kinda....

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I suspect the camera cannot handle the constant vibration cause by loud music. I'm staggered it copes audio wise!
    Thought: You're not placing it (very) close to speakers (strong magnets) or sources of electrical interference are you?
    It's not super close to the amps, but it's not really far either.
    It's about 4-5 feet from the closest amp, and about 10 feet from the bass amp.

Blog Entries

One thing I dont get is how you get pictures from 'outside' the room? Anyway, something to try. If the camera has an audio input with level control, take a feed from the sound desk and feed it straight in. Then move the camera away until it stops exhibiting the fault.

Then throw it in a skip and buy a tape camera. These cheaper bloody HDD cameras seem more trouble than there worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Combikid View Post
    .. I've talked to a few people that told me they tried recording live shows and when ever the camers where to close to the equipment/stage their camera's wouldn't work as well. Is this a common problem with recording live music?..
    I've NEVER had any problems using tape cameras on stage (except for distortion of sound when I've forgotton to set levels)... and I've stuck them in some very peculiar places.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 03-07-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries

As a sort of addendum to this thread, I was filming on Saturday night and borrowed a JVC Evirio GZ-MG330 HDD camcorder allegedly capable of recording up to seven and a half hours non stop at 'super fine' quality in order to test out this volume problem that HDD cams are seeming to suffer from.

The camera was mounted in front of the stage on a Manfrotto Super Clamp, around twenty feet from the front, directly above the dance floor.

First set (quiet Jazz) no worries, recorded fine, no hiccups. Second set (full on party loud music) it managed to record around a minute before it crashed out with a 'shock protection' message on screen. At time of writing this thing is about 275 - alot of money for some and certainly not worth it considering this fatal drawback to its operation.

So - if you want to record anything approaching loud DONT buy one of these cameras. Get a tape machine instead. At least they work!!!!