Thread: hdv capture problem

Default hdv capture problem

hi, it seems i am again in need of your help. to make a long story short: i edit wedding videos but i don't shoot them myself, i only get the mini dv tape. the camera used is a jvc gy hd100u. i use a standard jvc camera(gr d24oe) to import video to the computer using a firewire connection. the problem is i cannot import hdv material only standard type. am i doing something wrong or this is impossible?
    if so what could i do to import hdv and does it worth doing so if the final product is a DVD. olso i wonder if my video(hdv 750p) is cropped when i import it as normal dv?
    thank you

you don't need to shoot in hd if your giving it to them on a dvd. the video will be "cropped". it's actually zoomed in, zoom it out.

Hi, A standard mini DV camera will never read a high definition video, it might if it was recorded in SD but not sure on that, all you can do is borrow the HD camera and convert to DVD later, not forgetting that some HD is "upper field first" just check before you make the DVD that the fields are the same.

I am trying to capture down-converted footage from my Sony FX7 but having absolutely no luck.

After connecting the camera to the PC via firewire and switching everything on, the connection does not get recognised. Maybe 1% of the time (I've tried hundreds of times!) the computer will beep, and bring up the dialogue box asking what I would like to do. However, by the time I have opened my editing software and prepared it to capture, the connection is lost and the camera is no longer visible on my computer.

I have tried capturing with Pinnacle Studio Plus 10, Windows Movie Maker and a Trial version of Sony Vegas 8.

My computer was running Windows XP with SP2, when that didn't work I updated to SP3 and still no luck.

I know it is not a problem with the camera's firewire port because it captures without problems to my friends Mac.

I know it is not a problem with my computer's firewire port because it captures video fine from both my Canon and Panasonic miniDV cameras.

Anybody have any idea's or similar problems?

some chipsets on the firewire cards have problems with some caeras and other firewire equipment.

I honestly think it's the cable. do you have a spare one lying about? how long is the cable? shorter the better tbh, less interference = less chance of drop outs ornot getting anything at all.

How old are the programs you are using, are they capable of recording from a high definition camera, I'd try downloading a trail of any of the new programs that are HD capable, just to make sure it has the right codecs etc.

florin

To answer your question first -

You can not capture HD footage that is on a mini dv tape from a NON-HD camera. The science behind it is easy but i still dont know it.

You will have to use the same camera, or buy a bit of equipment that will read HD DV.

vnvnvn2000
    Now you -

The camera and XP have issues, i have lots of issues which i cant work out, XP is the same. You might have to cough up and get a propper computer with Vista or at least get a quad core beast with a load of ram.

Best efforst would be to go for a newer computer with Vista and a newer firewire capture port. These are now faster bitrates than when your computer was put together.

The chipset on your motherboard is probably having a hard time reading the data coming from your camcorder as it is trying to send it in a different way, therefore the firewire card and XP cant "SEE" it.

Hope this helps.

Mitch